Strange Find

Discussion in 'Butterfly / Moth' started by andy84, Jun 29, 2009.

1. andy84

andy84 New Seed

Hi everyone. This is my first post here. In fact, I created an account just to ask this question, so I hope you can help.

It's been SUPER windy where I live the last day or two. While grilling out today, I saw a little green thing twitching about on the ground. Upon further inspection, I deduced it was some sort of chrysalis. I wager it blew out of the tree I was under. Anyway, it kept flipping around and going crazy. I figured it's natural state would be to be hanging, so I very gently scooped it up and hung it in a jar from a piece of thread. The thing keeps twitching though, so now I'm wondering if it's uncomfortable? I know the thread isn't pinching it. I put some grass in the bottom of the jar to make it feel more at home. Is this twitching behavior normal? Should I have just left it on the ground? I was afraid a bird would make it a snack... it's just a tiny little thing, about a half inch tip to tip.

Anyway, if you have any advice, or if I should have left it on the ground, I'd appreciate feedback. Thank you.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

It sounds as though whatever is in the chrysalis is about to hatch out. You'll probably find either a butterfly or moth drying it's wings fairly shortly. You did the right thing by picking it up as it may have been trodden on otherwise.