Strange Hollyhock leaves?

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Tooty2shoes, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

:rolleyes: We have Hollyhocks planted along our barn front. They always reseed themselves so we have plenty to enjoy. But this year we have a mystery. There are two Hollyhock plants at the back of the border with leaves shaped like maple leaves.
    At first I was going to yank them figuring they were weeds. But my hubby said lets just see what they do. So now they have a flower head that looks like the other Hollyhocks but not the leaves.
    I had looked online to see if there is a hollyhock with a maple shaped leaf with the sharp points on it and very divided. Couldn't find one. :-| So I hope someone out there has one or has heard of a Hollyhock with a leaf shaped like a maple leaf.
    Will try and get some pic's to add. After thought of course. :eek:

2. Loading...

3. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

Could it be a mallow? :shrug:

Tooty2shoes likes this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mallow is the common English name that refers to the Malvaceae family of plants that includes both the Alcea (Hollyhock) and the Malva (Common Mallow)

The Malva leaves do resemble a Maple leaf when small but will round out more as they mature, my Malva sylvestris does that.

Do a Google search for Mallow, then click on Images for Mallow and except for the Super Mario character named Mallow, you will find several with those leaves.

If you have never planted one, possibly the previous home owner did or there is a neighbor with some. Birds love the seeds and are happy to spread the plant around. ;)

Frank and Tooty2shoes like this.