Strawberry Seedlings Help

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Chrisle, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

Last year I grew Alpine strawberries with great success. This year I decided to try my hand at growing regular ones. I gleaned the seeds from berries that I purchased at the store and some that I picked at the strawberry farms. My problem is that they are not at all growing like the Alpine ones did. I am not sure what to do. They are grown up on stems thin as thread and from the stem is a wee little clump with something that looks like it might be a root forming in the air. My problem is, should I transplant these now and push that little root looking thing into the ground or would that might kill the plant (rot it). The root looking things are also very tiny, small as hairs. They look big in the pictures but I was trying to get as close as I could. Any help would be appreciated.

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Chrisle's Garden )

[​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from Chrisle's Garden )

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiya Chrisle. I do not grow strab plants from seed, but I do use the plantlets that form on the runners of the `mother plants`, so I can at least comment on the little hair-like bits growing from the base of your plants. I have the idea that they are roots and will need to be in the earth eventually.

If they are roots the correct place is in the soil and in fact the area where the rootlets come from ought to be under the soil level. Strawbs a funny plants in the sense that should be planted not too deep and not to shallowly. Certainly the growing point must not be under the soil level, but all roots should be.

So my opinion is to cover those roots with soil and once they have grown enough to stiffly hold the plant in place then you could mulch them to keep them moistish.

It would be wise of you to collect more opinions than mine from the other members here and then make your own choice of what and how you will proceed.

It looks as if you are doing quite well with your strawbs.
    Here´s wishing you continued success and good luck with your undertaking.

Keep us posted...oké?

Frank and eileen like this.
  4. Chrisle

Chrisle In Flower

Thank you,Sjoerd, for your reply.I can understand that if you have runners from strawberry plants that are already established that is the way to start new ones. The problem I am having is, that these ones are seedlings, still in the starter trays. They grew rather spindly because I don't have grow lights. The main roots and part of the stem is in the ground. The little strawberry plants themselves are coming out of the ground looking like they are dangling from the tiny stem. I don't want the tiny stem rot if I should push the little plant into the soil. Still perplexed! :-?