Succulent Confusion

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by fish_4_all, Nov 24, 2008.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have been looking at literally hundreds of them and I have a very important question for what I want to do. I want to set up a large tray, maybe 3x4 foot or 4x5 foot and set up what might be called a succulent indoor garden. This is supposed to be a garden in the idea that everything stays in it's own place and doesn't get too large or too long. I looked at a lot of Crassula but they all seem to get rather large. I also looked at some others but haven't had much luck with finding anything that stays compact except for living rocks.

Can anyone help with a list of succulents that will grow indoors but only occupy a space about 4"x4" so I can really make a true "garden" effect with them? Can I simply keep the Crassula trimmed and have them create huge stems/trunks so I can use them?

Here are the ones I have found, will any of them work for any of what I want to do:
    Crassula finger, Gollum, hobbit, hummels sunset, high voltage, brevafolia, buddhas temple, columella, dorothy, marchandii,

Gasteria brevafolia
    Haworthia baccata
    Cymbiformis V. Angustata
    Haworthia truncata
    living rocks argyroderma or baby toes
    Aeonium Sedifolium

Please, anyone with ideas for compact succulents or ones that can be trained that way let me know. I want to have this set up to start here by the end of the year or at the latest early spring.

I may have a way to get a whole bunch of cuttings from many different ones but I don't want to get a bunch I can't use.

2. Loading...

3. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

What an exciting idea! Sounds like you're going to have lots of fun in your succulent garden. :D

I'm not good with succulents at all. The small ones we've had here have always grown fast and have gotten big too, despite their dainty appearance in the shop. You've done some thorough research, and I really hope this will work out for you.

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Well have comprised a much larger list so if anyone has any of them please let me know if they stay small or can be trained to stay small:

Conophytum Meyernai
    Conophytum Minutum
    Cotyledon Tomentosa
    Crassula Brevifolia
    Crassula Columella
    Crassula Dorothy
    Crassula Finger
    Crassula Gollum
    Crassula High Voltage
    Crassula Hobbit
    Crassula Marchandii
    Crassula Susannae
    Cymbiformis V. Angustata
    Echevaria Doris Taylor
    Echevaria Multicaulus
    Euphorbia Flanaganii
    Euphorbia Suzannae
    Euphorbia V. Cristata
    Fauearia Madisgascariensis
    Gasteria Brevafolia
    Graptoveria Amethorum
    Haworthia Baccata
    Haworthia Coarctata V Greenii
    Haworthia Cooperi
    Haworthia Cymbiformis V. Angustata
    Haworthia Elizeae
    Haworthia Herbacea
    Haworthia Reinwardtii
    Haworthia Retusa
    Haworthia Truncata
    Haworthia Viscosa
    Lapidaria Maragaethae
    Lithops Olivacea
    Pachyveria Royal Flush
    Stomatium Agninum V. Integrifolium
    Stomatium Beaufortense
    Stomatium Niveum
    Stomatium Suaveolens

5. Gardengirl

Gardengirl Young Pine

Sounds like a good project you are taking on Fish. I have Echeveria 'Doris Taylor'. Here is a photo of it when I first started it off in July 2004. It now fills that pot which is about 8" in dia with loads of baby plants.
    [​IMG]

6. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I have to go through your succulents one at a time, since I don't know the scientific name for the ones I've grown.

The Echeverias we've had, have grown rather tall and put out branches.

I really like the Faucaria. It was very decorative, but I can't keep them alive.

Our Pachyveria grew fast, dropped the bottom "leaves" and got leggy.

I had the Stomatium niveum once. It grew slowly for me, and was very decorative.