Succulent with woody stem

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by Daphne, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Daphne

Daphne New Seed

The succulent has a woody stem and the leaves are normally quite blue-ish greenish looking, they have turned yellow with black tips due to some overwatering.

DFE776F1-4E3E-4148-8811-B80D65CDC416.jpeg B7620191-335B-4C01-B57E-49CC6E4EDC0F.jpeg

Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Looks like a Jade plant Daphne.

4. Daphne

Daphne New Seed

Oh! Would you happen to know which prticular sub species it is? Because it looks very different from the google images of jade plants im getting

5. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

It looks like an Echeveria to me. It can't be a Jade (Crassula ovata) which has pairs of opposite leaves.

carolyn likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Daphne

Daphne New Seed

Hi everyone! I went back to the shop and they have told me that it is in fact a graptosedum

Gail-Steman likes this.
  7. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hi Daphne, I've been reading about your plant and it's classed as an hybrid "Blue Giant" apparently...how is your plant now?

8. Daphne

Daphne New Seed

Oh wow i did not know that! Thanks! My plant is now suffering from different problems now unfortunately :( i recently repotted it due to problems with the old pot and it lost most of its roots during the process. Now it wont stop dropping (withered) leaves and its not growing its leaves out as fast.

Gail-Steman likes this.
  9. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Hi @Daphne sorry to hear what's happened and to find the caring of the plant is hard to find not much info but came up with this off a seller on Amazon for the same plant if it helps.

Product description
    Blue Giant (Graptosedum Hybrid) Description Blue Giant (Graptosedum Hybrid) is a colorful, drought tolerant succulent. Muted pastel tones are highly desired for weddings and other events. Take a colorful container, and add this beautiful succulent to it. Like a slice of heaven, it is ready to dazzle any rock garden or container planting with its plump foliage and icy-blue hue. Rosettes grow on a trailing stems that spill over pots, or weave along the ground. Plant in porous soil, give good drainage and bright light. Best not to over water. Scientific Name: Blue Giant (Graptosedum Hybrid) Plant Type: Succulent cactus Light: Full sun Water: Water the plant more in the spring and summer, but still let it dry out in between waterings. Plant well-draining potting soil and never let it sit in water. Zone: Zones 9 to 12 Temperature: This succulent plant does best in hotter conditions. Do not keep outside in freezing temperatures. Take inside and display it in an indoor garden for the winter. Keep it by a western- or southern-facing window. Fertilizer: Fertilize in the spring and summer once a month with a cactus and succulent fertilizer. Pests and Diseases: No insect pests or diseases are known to severely attack this plant. Propagation: Propagate succulent plants by taking cuttings. Cut off leaves from the stem, let them dry, and then place the cutting into the soil. Keep the potting soil moist until the cutting begins to grow. Misc. Info: Be careful when touching this succulent plant, as it can irritate some people’s skin. Also make sure that no pets or children eat this plant. Plant leaves are delicate and can fall off easily.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  10. Daphne

Daphne New Seed

Ooohhh woww thank you!!

Gail-Steman likes this.
  11. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well I hope it helps and update us on how it goes :fingerscrossed: