SuperMoon...

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Sherry8, Jan 2, 2018.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

January 1, 2018 020 (2).jpg I hope everyone got to see the SuperMoon last night, it was so beautiful again... I grabbed my camera and a coat and took some shots from our back porch. This was taken on Jan. 1, 2018 , I am on the west side of Lake Winneconne and the moon came up on the east side...

January 1, 2018 034 (3) copy.jpg

January 1, 2018 024 (2).jpg

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our skies were clouded over so I didn't see much of the Super Moon last night. Thanks to you though I get to see it today!! :D

Philip Nulty likes this.
  3. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I was looking forward to seeing it a second night but it got cloudy Tuesday night and I couldn't see a thing in the sky...

Philip Nulty likes this.
  4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

The first full moon of the year is called the Wolf Moon and this year January also has a 'Blue Moon' meaning there will be another full moon this month on the 31st. It also will be a Super Moon....which will make 3 Super moons in a row as the one on Dec 3 was also a Super moon.

Cayuga Morning and Philip Nulty like this.

Advertisement
  5. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Just going by what our newspaper says about it and the news Toni. Around here they say the Indians have different names and there were other groups too but I can't remember who used what...

Philip Nulty likes this.
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Each culture in this country and around the world has different names for each of the full moons depending on the circumstances surrounding the time of the full moon. Over the years the Full Wolf Moon has been the name that is most often used for the first full moon of the year in the U.S. and it would appear, looking at a list of the Full Moon names, that the Algonquin tribe is the one most of the names came from and some from early settlers who were just going by their experience.

Individual Native American tribes even named them differently depending on what part of the country they were in. In the northern part of the U.S. January is when the tribes up north would hear Wolves howling, maybe from hunger, during a long winter....down here we do not have wolves or that much snow so that name would not have been given to the first full moon of the year by Natives or settlers in this area.
    Some cultures call it the Snow Moon but some save that name for the February full moon. Just depends on the history of the area.

Philip Nulty and Sherry8 like this.
  7. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Great shot Sherry, good composition.

Jerry

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

So much fog here we can't see your hand in front of your face let alone a huge moon. Wish I could have seen it but ??? :(

Great photos Sherry!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  9. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Last night we were watching television and I looked out the window and the moon was just coming up at 8:15 at night, we have never noticed it that late. It was a bright orange starting out and just over the top of the houses which we couldn't see because of it being dark. It is interesting to watch it climb, I never realized it happened so fast.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

we watched it as we drove through Arkansas and Tennessee on Wed night. we kept looking to see "what in the world" was peeking through the trees as we were driving. it was absolutely awesome. we tried to get a picture but failed greatly as we were driving.

11. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

They said another super moon would appear on January 31, 2018...I am hoping we have a clear night so we can watch it...