Supporting local business day aka Junque shopping trip

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by toni, Nov 30, 2014.

1. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Since Saturday was support local business day we decided what better way than to take a junque trip down Hwy 377 to Granbury and had time to go over to Stephenville too.

We left early in the morning, first stop was at the locally owned Dunn Bros shop for coffee to get us going.

Through Ft. Worth and down 377, next stop is in Benbrook at Whataburger, locally owned and a native Texas company, for breakfast. The on to the Benbrook Antique Mall.

The blue box has a sliding lid, really cool....and the hanging plant holder will be converted to a hanging peanut holder to hang in the Fig tree. They have fancied up their stock so pickings were slim....
    [​IMG]
    Cool box and soon to be birdfeeder ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Further down the road to the small town of Cresson and the store where I got the Farmall tractor hood a couple of years ago. They have gone back to having good junque instead of trying to make it a boutique but still not much there called to me. But I love enameled bowls and buckets and you just can't have too many insulators. I have several rake and shovel heads to use as hose guides or as a bed border so the insulators will be affixed to the handle end for my protection.
    [​IMG]
    Enameled bowl and insulaters ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Grandma's Attic is going fancy stuff too so the only thing I found there was this painting of Hollyhocks, I don't have any luck growing them so I have begun a collection of paintings of them...this was sold by a non-gardener since they had labeled it a painting of Morning Glories.
    [​IMG]
    ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Granbury is home to my favorite shop of all...Witherspoon's. It has several individual booths inside with assorted interesting items and outside is the area where the garden junk abounds. Rusted metal, old tin, paint crumbling off wrought iron beauties...you know the good stuff!!

The two horns on the left and the downspout splitter at the back will be placed (upside from their current orientation) in a metal pot/planter filled with soil, they will be filled and planted with sedums of some sort. The dust pan will come in handy for sweeping up leaves and other things....
    [​IMG]
    Rusty things ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

Two or three years ago I gave Randy a glass Carbine (a shortened version of a rifle) filled with Vodka, he is hard to shop for :eek: . The Vodka is still in it, it was mainly to add to his gun collection.
    Then in Witherspoon's he found a revolver version of the same idea...the Vodka had been drunk but the labels were all still there.
    [​IMG]
    Vodka anyone? ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

When we got to Witherspoon's Randy told me that since he couldn't think of but just a couple of small things to get me for Christmas he wanted me to find something there that I really wanted. These trellises had been there the last two times we had visited the store and I had lusted over them but now I had the chance to spend that much money on them. They will be mounted in the backyard, have an assortment of birdhouses attached to them and then Morning Glories will be planted to cover them up.
    [​IMG]
    Two new trellises ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

We found ourselves with 3 hours more time than we expected so we hightailed it west for 28 miles to Stephenville and found another shop to wander through.
    The sieve will be hung from a tree to become another peanut feeder for the birds, the strainer will have it's handle bent 90 degrees up and be hung on the side of the house as another birdfeeder, the small brown things are two wooden drawer pulls (I'll come up with something to do with them eventually) and the doors will be either hung to cover a window on my garden room or become plaques with something painted on them....time will tell.
    [​IMG]
    Doors, strainer and sieve ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

After that last shop we found a local diner that we had been to many years ago when my Mom was in the hospital in that town and had supper. Chicken Fried Steak with cream gravy, Fries and a salad for Randy and Chicken Tenders, Fries and a Salad for me.

We got home about 7:30 last night and after making friends with Spooky who thought we had abandoned him with no food and water (his water bowl was full but there was an empty space in the middle of his food bowl, so of course he thought he would starve :rolleyes: ) We collapsed in our recliners and watched Murdock Mysteries on NetFlix the rest of the evening.

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Toni I don't know how you do it but every time you post pictures of your junque I turn green. I love the hollyhock painting and the blue box, the hanging plant holder and the trellises. I could find a place of every one of them here.

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I love it all. The trellises would sure look good in my garden..... I guess they would look good in anyone's garden. :D :D

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, to have the ability to look at "junque" and see the possibilities! I envy you, Toni, for your imagination and for finding the perfect things for your garden.
    Let us see the end results, please!

Advertisement
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

You found some really good junque. I am looking forward to seeing them finished. I don't even think we have any stores with anything like you find. I am a little green with envy.

6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

I think the trellis and painting are great finds and I can't wait to see what you do with those doors Toni :smt023 Thanks for updating us on your new stuff!

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Great finds as always Toni, I love the Trellises as well. And wasn't it nice to come home and be missed?

8. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I've been wanting some trellis like those, so don't be surprised if I sneak up there one night and steal them. I'll leave the birdhouses for you. :D
    Great finds! That duct splitter looked like bow legs to me!
    :D
    I'm sure your birds will appreciate all the new feeders too.

9. donm

donm In Flower

I like your "Morning Glories", too.

10. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

I sure would like to go shopping with you.

11. mart

mart Strong Ash

Were there brands on the guns ? Old one and new one. Would like to look and see if I can find them. Love it all !!

12. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Mart I found the carbine at Sigel's Liquor store, they also had a machine gun shape I think it was a replica of an old 'Tommy Gun' One of your local liquor stores might be able to special order them for you.

[​IMG]
    Glass Rifle ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )

[​IMG]
    Glass Revolver ( photo / image / picture from toni's Garden )