Surgery far more complicated...

Discussion in 'Pets' started by Sherry8, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I have a Cairn terrier named Scooter. In the last year he has had 3 surgeries for tumors on his anus...today he had surgery and it turned out to be far more complicated than laser surgery. They removed the anal gland and the duct. Which means a lot deeper cut and a longer incision in that tender area. We pick him up at 3 today because they don't have anyone watching pets when you leave them over night...I would of gladly paid more if we could of found someone that knows how to care for him....I am so happy my husband is retired now....I will be the one on night watch...I will sleep right in the room with him in case he needs to go out. They sent in a section of the tumor for a biopsy and we will find out in a week or so. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it wasn't cancer causing all of these tumors ...they would also burst and bleed so you had to have them removed. I am praying that this is the end of his suffering and he can go back to being a happy go lucky little dog. He is 10 years of. August 4, 2015 042 (2).jpg

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Keeping my fingers crossed for your pup (even at 10, they are pups to their owners!). Scooter is adorable in that photo.

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Poor Scooter, sounds like he's been through a lot. Keeping my fingers crossed for him also Sherry :fingerscrossed:

4. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

He is so cute. I'm also keeping my fingers crossed for Scooter and hoping that you only get good news.

Advertisement
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm really hoping that the tumours turn out to be benign Sherry. Poor little chap has been through enough in the last year. Fingers crossed this most recent operation hasn't left him too sore. I'll be waiting to hear the results of the biopsy and wishing for good news for little Scooter.
    By the way that's a wonderful photograph of him.

6. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

No cancer but he had to go back in for more surgery this morning . He had to be doing something even with the cone on his head because something opened up and he was dropping stool...they had to tighten things up and I guess they have some type of protection on his bottom end in case he trys to drag it because it hurts.
    I feel bad because we are not the greatest care givers...there is no one at the vets office at night and on the weekend so we are better than nothing I guess. I remember the days when they had someone there to care for the pets at these times. I hope we don't run into any problems.
    ...thank you for all of the get well thoughts for him, he is really needing them right now.

7. eileen

Poor little chap must be feeling rather uncomfortable but, thankfully, no cancer was found. Now all we can hope for is that his recovery is fast and that he'll soon be able to get the cone off and lead a normal life again.

8. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Glad to hear it is not cancer Sherry but sounds like he is not out of the woods yet. Continued good thoughts for him.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Sherry, I am hoping and praying that your dear little dog recovers and is his usual happy self. Isn't it a consolation, though, to know you have given him such a loving life so far.

10. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

Scooter made it through the 4 surgeries but now some problems are showing up. I think it was from the medication or some of the anesthetic...my vet wants us to see a brain surgeon but I told her I wouldn't put Scooter through any more . He has some problems with walking at times and he stares off in space....he was fine before the last surgery and since the last one so many things we have noticed going wrong. We have decided to keep him comfortable and as long as he can walk and then we will make the dreaded decision. I wish I had some happier news to share.

11. eileen

I'm so sorry to hear the latest news of little Scooter. I was really hoping that the surgeries would have helped him back to a healthier life. :(

12. zuzu's petals

zuzu's petals Silly Old Bat Plants Contributor

:( Aw, I'm so very sorry to read that you and your precious little Scooter are having to cope with these residual effects.
    He is blessed to have such loving humans around him who are so dedicated to his best interest, and I'm sure that he feels all of your love and dedication.
    I can only add my hopes and prayers for the best, moving forward. :heart:

13. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I am so sorry about Scooters problems. My heart goes out to you, your husband and to Scooter. :heart:

14. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Not what I wanted to read. So sorry for Scooter and you. At least Scooter is in the very best of hands in your care. :smt049

15. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

I was wondering if anyone else has ever had a pet with neurologic problems? Yesterday he seemed fine, just like nothing was going on. I am wondering if they are like people with good times and bad times. I am wondering if they just keep getting worse or if it takes a while? He seems to be having more good than bad times , which is great. We have to find out from the vet a few other questions we have.