Sweet basil plants have leaves with black/brownish color

Discussion in 'Herb Gardening' started by DLCM2607, Feb 28, 2008.

1. DLCM2607

DLCM2607 New Seed

Hello, first time posting here. I'm new to gardening and such, got interested because I'm a chef and wanted fresh herbs around for cheaper at home. I built my own hydroponic system which works fantastically.

However, today, I noticed two of my 5 sweet basil plants had leaves with black/brownish colored (or perhaps colorless) spots on them. They are on the edges of the leaves and currently are on the top set of leaves. I trimmed off the worst leaves.

It seems to be new and hasn't spread far at all. But if its fungi/bacterial I would like to stop it ASAP. Same with a nutrient problem. I am currently using a 10-15-10 liquid nutrient, and the temperature in the room is consistently 65-70 degrees.

As far as any other symptoms, I looked very closely for any other signs. Only other things I could see were, one of the bottom leaves on the other plant, had a medium pinhead size yellow/white dot in the middle of it. And another leave had two dots that are reddish/copper colored, and also small sized.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Hi there and welcome to our forums. :-D

I can't honestly tell from your piccie what the problem could be but it might possibly be a blister bug infestation.

Is there any chance you could reduce the size of your picture as it is rather big and therefore blurred? :stew1:

4. DLCM2607

DLCM2607 New Seed

I've resized the picture down by 65%, should be easier to see now. If it comes up just as big, delete the cookie for that page.

I looked up blister bug and I would say it isn't that. There is no bug of any sort in my setup. My setup is basically a homemade Aerospring. So its pretty easy to check everything for infestation.

Besides my basil I have 2 different kinds of lettuce growing, Marjoram, Chives, and a hot pepper plant growing. Nothing besides the basil seems to be showing any problems, if that means anything.

Thanks for the help!

5. DLCM2607

DLCM2607 New Seed

The same (apparently)problem has started to affect my other plants now. My marjoram has the same "brown to black at the tips and slowly spreading", as does one of my lettuces.

Any more ideas anyone?

6. Wise Sage

Wise Sage New Seed

Rot

At first glance at your picture I would guess that is a little rot. This can be common in hydroponic systems (and indoor planters) if you dont get good air movement. Also, herbs like Oregano and Thyme that have dense foliage which traps the moisture under the plant are even more vulnerable to rot. My suggestion would be to put a small fan in the vacinity. You dont have to blow it over the plants, but anywhere nearby so they get some air movement. Also, cut off as much of the rot as you can as it is a breeding ground for disease. Good luck!