Switching over to Linux OS, (farewell Windows).

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by S-H, Dec 7, 2015.

1. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Sine there is a lot of interest among many forum members about Linux, (as Windows keeps letting everyone down from time to time) - I have decided to start this dedicated thread in which I (as well as anyone else who has experience with Linux), will assist anyone who is interested in trying out Linux OS.

Linux is totally headache free, it doesn't crash, doesn't fill your hard drive with over bloated software (that we would never even use). It runs the PC faster, cooler - But best of all, it is 100% secure, so viruses also can't attack it! Plus it is totally free of cost! So those who feel like dumping Microsoft Windows and migrate over to the free Linux community - This thread is for you! :cool:

First step - Download the most popular version of Linux for home use, known as Ubuntu, from this place:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

Or if you like to simply buy a Ubuntu Linux DVD and install it yourself, or have it installed onto your PC by someone, then go here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Linux-...UTF8&qid=1449453814&sr=8-3&keywords=linux+dvd

You can also try Ubuntu (from the DVD or USB thumb drive), without actually installing it, just to get a feel for it:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/try-ubuntu-before-you-install

There are ways to make your PC dual boot also, where your Windows (if for some reason you are very attached to it) can exist alongside Linux. So upon start up you'll be given a choice if you want to go into Windows, or Linux.
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

===============================================
    NOTE: Back up all your precious data before trying any of this.
    ===============================================

Other versions of Linux also exist, but they can be for specific use. Like Kali Linux for example, which only the technically minded will like, as it has all the tools you'd need to test your PC or network security. This basically can be thought of as the Swiss Army Knife of computers and the internet!
    https://www.kali.org/

And for those who want the ultimate online anonymity/privacy, can try using Tails Linux. This Linux however is recommended to be run from a bootable DVD or thumb drive (so do not try to install it) - It is small, very fast, and focused strictly on providing you privacy... It leaves no trace on any computer after use, so no way for anyone to secretly grab your passwords later (for malicious intent). Thus it is totally safe to be used on public computers (like those at airports, in which hackers often put secret key stroke logging programs to get your passwords)... So with this you really can feel completely safe that no one will hack your email and/or social media accounts afterwards. Just put the DVD (or thumb drive) into that PC and boot from it. Afterwards remove it and restart, and there will be no trace anywhere on the computer, (regarding when and what it was used for). In fact it won't even be clear if the computer had actually been used or not... :headscratch: :smt044

Tails can also be used to anonymously gain access to the mysterious "deep web" (the internet underworld, which normal browsers can't see). However it's main purpose is to provide 100% foolproof privacy for everyone (through the Tor network)... Yes it is completely legal to have, own, and operate anywhere in the world (despite it's initial bad reputation) - It is actually used for very legitimate things mostly, like by businessmen who travel a lot, (and wish to protect themselves from industrial espionage). International bankers too like it a lot, as well as software developers, singers, actors, as well as TV show and movie makers too, (who very badly need to protect their latest creations from hacking & piracy). Top level research scientists, government officials, politicians, diplomats, and military officers too love Tails for this same reason.

And yes, Tails Linux is also completely for free! :like:
    https://tails.boum.org/

Anyway those who are very curious about the many different types of Linux out there - Can go here and explore:
    https://www.linux.com/

By the way - Linux community is a melting pot of very knowledgeable and polite (yet rebellious) selfless enthusiasts, idealists, and visionaries - Who very strongly believe in the concept of providing free and very high quality software to the masses. So please don't hesitate to make a small donation to their cause, (if you like their products). As doing so will keep them happy for a very long time.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  2. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

S-H, does this mean that you're volunteering to coach a few of us 'dummies' if we are interested in switching our OS's over to Ubuntu? ... If you are, then I commend you because I am very interested in doing just that but being too timid to tackle the job un-aided / uncoached and too tightly budgeted to pay a computer tech to do it for me I was waiting for exactly this type of offer.... I thank you...
    Hank

Gail-Steman and S-H like this.
  3. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Yes I am ready to assist, and I am sure many other members over here also (who too use Linux) will not hesitate to assist anyone who wishes to dump Windows! So please tell me the specifications of your PC, like how much RAM has it got? How big is the hard drive? Do you have broadband internet? How old is the PC? Is it 32 bit or 64? Is there a possibility in your budget to install a second hard drive? It's OK if it is not possible, we'll just have to work at it from another angle.

However you must have some way to back up all your data before trying anything, just to be on the safe side - Nothing will happen, I promise! But it still is a very good practice to back up everything...

Also, would you like to retain Windows alongside Linux? I recommend that you do, (only in the start, until you familiarize yourself with Linux completely). This is why I asked if there is a possibility in your budget to install a 2nd hard drive. As this way we would be able to install Linux in the new drive without any issues, while leaving your Windows completely untouched and in full working condition. Later you can remove Windows and use that drive for extra storage, or continue to keep Windows for old time's sake.

But it's still OK if we can't have a second drive. As there are other ways of keeping your Windows (and date) safe while Linux will be installing.

First step is to download and burn (or buy online) an Ubuntu DVD, and give it a try without installing it - I mean that you learn to use Linux without any risk! Again I promise you that nothing will happen, I just want you to get over your initial anxiety - After which you yourself will realize that it really was no big deal! So run Linux Ubuntu from the DVD, (do not install), just learn to use the browser on your own, go online and do your other normal tasks. See if you like it? It will feel slow, (as it will be running from the DVD), but after installation it will become very fast - Faster then Windows could ever be! But first keep running it from the DVD, for as long as you like, (take weeks or months, as there is no rush, no deadlines to meet). Only when you are confidant, you can install. But in the meantime, running from the DVD is the safest and cheapest thing that we can do. So have no fear!

Linux by the way gives a new life to older computers, makes them run very fast, as if they were new! So you probably won't even need to upgrade to a newer PC for a few more years!!! :cool:

By the way, what do you use your PC for? Just the usual, like for the internet as well as for writing and printing a few letters here and there? Or do you have any specific task and/or software??? If it is just for the usual stuff, then your transformation (of getting to use & like Linux) will take just a day - If not less! :D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  4. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Last edited: Dec 8, 2015
    Gail-Steman likes this.

Advertisement
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

Hank,, first day I get free I am going to give it a try too !! I am planning to open up a couple of online stores and will really need something faster and more efficient than Windows !! Thanks S-H for the offer of help,, I may need it !!

6. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Like I said so before, I am here to assist in every way possible! So the more people migrate to the headache free world of Linux, I'll become more happy! Seriously, don't give money to big corporations (who's software only wastes your time, computing power, as well as digital storage space, and neither does it provide any real privacy/security) - Also no need to pay any technological computing geek either, as Linux is so simple that anyone, yes anyone, can install it by themselves. And that too completely free of cost!!!

Just try it once and I swear you'll never want to go back to anything else, ever! :cool:

By the way, if you some reason you don't like the feel of Ubuntu, then you can try Mint Linux, which too is completely for free - Only difference is that it's look & feel is very much like Windows, it has even got a start button, (however from the inside it is a very powerful and secure Linux)... Ubuntu is of course more popular, as a result of which it today has a greater following, (and thus more additional software written for it, as well as free video tutorials for it floating on YouTube). But Mint Linux isn't bad either... Actually, whichever type of Linux you like, you will find a very friendly community that will keep on assisting you, no matter what (and for free) - Simply because we all share a common bond, we all have been (at one time or another) let down very badly by Microsoft. Thus we understand each other's pain very well. So be it the pain of transitioning over to Linux, or the pain of all those never ending disappointments (because of which we are now opting for Linux), you will always find people willing to assist you for free...

And so when you too will become good at it, you'll also then want to give something back to the community. The easiest way for which is to now start assisting other people who will be in need of advice and assistance - A lot like how we already behave with each other at the GardenStew! :stew1:

http://linuxmint.com/

Mint.jpg

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    Gail-Steman and Henry Johnson like this.
  7. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

O.K., S-H, I'm back and more-or-less ready to start asking questions..
    You asked about my machine/computer; it is:
    HP Compaq 6735b /// p/n AR434US#ABA [LapTop, 15" screen; 100GB HDD]
    OS = Win 7 Home Premium (32 bit)
    Processor = AMD Turion X2 Dual Core /2.0GHz
    RAM = 2.0 GB (1.75 GB usable) *This may be too small!
    System Type = 32 bit
    I also have a 250GB external HDD and a few 8, 16, 32 Gig FLASH/Thumb Drives..
    I am initiating an order to Amazon for the referenced/recommended CD/DVD today .....
    I like the idea/plan to run UBUNTU from the CD and hold onto Win 7 until I am comfortable with ubuntu..
    You also asked 'how computer is used?' In my case, I do the internet surfing, emails, and participate in/on a couple of Forums similar to our 'GARDEN STEW'; I also do a bit of editorial type work using Word Processor Software..
    I am looking forward to my journey towards the light, out of the hostile jungle of the Microsoft-swamp..
    Hank

8. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Thanks for the info! No, your PC is not too small or under powered, 32 bit Linux will work just fine. Keep in mind that it is always the energy hungry Windows (due to it's inherent faulty architecture) which constantly demands processing power - Which is why you I'm sure you too must have noticed that your hard drive sometimes constantly running for no reason, (even when you are not using the PC for anything demanding)... But with Linux, things are always running very smoothly, your processor too doesn't heat up, nor does the hard disk behave like a stubborn mule all the time. Because of this I have seen 7 to 9 year old PCs happily running the latest Linux. So no, your PC is not obsolete by any standard. :smt045

But one thing that I am concerned about is you buying a DVD from Amazon, (instead of downloading and burning a bootable DVD yourself). I'm worried if you got a 64 bit DVD of Ubuntu? That won't run on a 32 bit PC... This page of Ubuntu Linux is already giving you the option to download either the 32 bit version, or the 64 bit (totally for free). So why bother to even place an order?

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

OK, correct that, I just saw that the Ubuntu Linux DVD available on on Amazon has both 32 bit and 64 bit versions in it. So I guess it's OK to buy that. But again, if you already know how to make a bootable DVD (or a bootable USB thumb drive), then why bother ordering anything? Anyway, I leave the choice to you...

Now as for what your PC is used for over the internet? Alright, this is going to be fun for you! :) As with Ubuntu Linux you'll get FireFox browser, which is far more stable (and secure) then Microsoft's Internet Explorer. So your internet experience I'm sure will either improve, or simply remain the same, (there will actually be substantial improvements under the hood, but maybe you won't notice them while using). Whatever the situation, your internet activity will be more secure - As both Linux OS and FireFox browser don't have holes in their security system. Unlike Microsoft, which keeps springing leaks one after another, and thus continues to give service packs over and over again...

Anyway the bottom line is that all you could do with MS Internet Explorer, you'll now be able to do the exact same thing (only slightly faster) with Linux and FireFox browser!

Next we come to what your PC is used for in your home? OK this too is going to become fun! :) You see, there is now a free writing program called LibreOffice - This too is free, and it's available for both Windows and Linux! And it is every bit as powerful as Microsoft Office, (only LibreOffice is without the useless software bloat, which Microsoft just can't help but shove down our throat)...

https://www.libreoffice.org/

So you can easily download this and install it on your Windows PC, see if you like it? If yes, then you can get the Linux version also when you switch over to Ubuntu! By the way, LibreOffice isn't the only one, there are many other free word processor programs available for Linux. So no need to be worried, as you won't be without a writing program in Linux.

By the way, Linux is hungry for 2 things, internet connection - So it can get all it's regular updates and drivers for whatever devices you'll have attached to your PC (like a printer, scanner, or a webcam), While the other thing Linux is hungry for is RAM. But since your system is 32 bit, I'm sure 2 GB of RAM will work just fine. So go ahead, order the DVD from Amazon, and run it from the drive (do not install at first). Yes, give it a try, we are all with you! :like:

CAUTION: Please (as a matter of routine) always back up all your personal data onto a thumb drive before trying anything. Doing this is a very good practice. Like taking the umbrella with you when the sky is overcast, (even when you are sure that it won't rain)...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    Gail-Steman and Henry Johnson like this.
  9. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

Still waiting impatiently for the disk to arrive at/in my mailbox...... Still planning to learn Ubuntu from the disk before attempting to put it on my HDD... Thinking I will explore the option of having both Operating Systems available...
    Did I mention that I have a 250 GB external HDD available and am willing to buy greater capacity if needed; but also willing to install greater capacity HDD in LapTop if 'partitioning' seems appropriate..
    Hank

Gail-Steman likes this.
  10. S-H

S-H Hardy Maple

Ubuntu (nor any other type of Linux), or Windows, will run from an external HDD... As the USB's rate of data transfer is too marrow for any OS to run properly. In fact, you are more likely to damage your external HDD if you want to install any OS on it... External hard drives, specially the newer ones that connect via USB (in my opinion) are great for long term data storage and back up. But will fail if you make them work like a donkey...

What I do (with desktop PCs) is install Linux in one HDD, and if need be, install Windows in another (physically separate) HDD. Yes you can get by with partitioning one HDD into two, and then install Linux on one and Windows on another - Or simply let your original Windows remain, and you just partition the drive and install Linux on the new partition. In laptops, where 2 HDDs can't be installed inside at once, there is no real choice...

However this gives me a very uncomfortable feeling, as FAT-32 or NTFS (the standard by which Windows formats the HDD), is totally different from Linux's formatting - Because of which Linux doesn't even need any defragging, (as it's a very superior format). But the problem is that Windows can't read anything on a Linux drive, (while Linux can see as well as pull out or put in files on a Windows drive). So my worry is, what of Windows someday (accidentally) declare the whole Linux partition as one giant bad sector on the drive??? Yes it's just my own worry, as many people who have only one HDD in their PC, work fine with both Windows and Linux installed on different partitions. But I just feel that's it's not the right thing to do - Because in my method where I install 2 different HDDs, if the sky is falling (due to whatever reason), all I have to do is disconnect one HDD and boot from the other to fix the problem, or to rule out if it's a hardware issue, or just a software glitch...

But if there is only one HDD in a PC (with 2 different OS installed in 2 different partitions), I find it very difficult to troubleshoot problems down the road... Of course, such challenging problem too arise only because I also am always pushing the envelope (to see exactly how much can I get away with) - So most likely, if you just install Linux, and use both Windows as well as Ubuntu like any sane gentleman should, them you shouldn't have any problems. But if it is possible to have another separate HDD installed in your PC, then please opt for it, (as it will be like always having a parachute with you)! In some laptops you can install a separate HDD in the place of a CD/DVD drive. Now the data transfer rate of any DVD drive doesn't need to be very high, so they work fine as external USB DVD drives too, (you really will not feel any difference). But there is a world of difference between a SATA HDD installed inside the PC, and an external USB HDD... So don't install Linux (or Windows) on an external HDD and expect it to work fine, because it won't, as it will put too much strain on both the PC and the HDD, as the USB data transfer rate will become a major bottleneck...

External HDDs (also called passport drives) are good for long term data storage and baking up. They are not meant for fast data exchange 24/7. Doing so will at the very least shorten their working life, or at worst cause catastrophic failure, (as in total HDD crash and complete loss of data on that drive).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2015
    Henry Johnson likes this.
  11. svejorange

svejorange New Seed

I just switched to linux a few weeks ago and i should say i am suprised how much i liked it :) I would recommend it.

Gail-Steman, Odif and Frank like this.
  12. Odif

Odif Young Pine

I have always run Linux on my computers. Debian is my favourite flavour.

Frank likes this.
  13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have run only Linux for a few years, no more worries about virus attacks. I do accept updates when I get the notice but I will not do an upgrade again, did it once and something crashed my computer.

14. kate

kate In Flower

I always wanted to try Linux but never actually did. Great tutorial and so helpful. These days I am idle and use iPad.

K