Symphytum stories.

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Odif, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Odif

Odif Young Pine

Symphytum species, commonly known as comfrey, are closely related to borage

I grow Russian comfrey, symphytum uplandicum in my garden for use as fertilizer.

42EFBA53-A1A6-4271-9379-C70FA3366E9C.jpeg The photo shows a comfrey in its flowering stage. Russian Comfrey, also known as bock 14 or bocking 14. This species of comfrey is a sterile hybrid, but can easily be multiplied through root division. The leaves are very bristly.

Growing wild in the forest here is symphytum tauricum, which can easily be identified by its smaller stature and yellow flowers.

I have a plant growing wild in my garden that I have identified as comfrey, specifically symphytum caucasicum. This plant can be distinguished from Russian comfrey by its smaller stature, it’s softer leaves and the fact that it grows from seed.

9E56BFE5-61CE-4DE4-B3DC-20DFF7D23741.jpeg

B52DAC32-31F5-443A-A7E3-144DF7F92DFF.jpeg

3F9F9EC9-6C6A-4C6A-B48E-266ABF8D2FC3.jpeg

There exist about 35 different comfrey species.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
  2. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I have heard of but never tried comfrey tea. I suppose it to be like kale in that it is good for you but not tasty. Why would this plant be chosen over others relative to fertilizing?

3. Odif

Odif Young Pine

@Dirtmechanic I have never drunk comfrey tea either, but the young leaves dipped in batter and fried are are delicious, they taste like fish. The young leaves have none of the supposed toxins that the flowering stalks have. Comfrey root grated and mixed with oil can make a good healing lotion. There is no accident that comfrey is known as boneknit.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

DM...one reason is of its very long taproot that picks up minerals from deep in the soil and brings it up and is present in the leaves and stems.
    There are other plants that have elevated quantities of elements in them that we use to fertilise our plants.

BTW I make what I call comfrey “ tea “ but that is absolutely NOT for drinking, it is for feeding my plants as a foliar spray or for giving directly on the ground.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    Odif likes this.
  5. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Neither of us can touch this plant without coming out in a rash. Did try an infusion to mend my broken toe, but it had no effect so Knitbone it ain't.