Taskbar freezing - Windows XP Home Edition

Discussion in 'Computer and Internet' started by Palustris, Apr 24, 2006.

1. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

XPHome
    Every now and then the screen/toolbar freezes, but in an odd fashion, hard to describe. The mouse pointer will move, but nothing happens when you click on a toolbar on screen. So for example if I am playing Spider patience and want to go to another already open window, the pointer will move to the toolbar, but no amount of clicking has any effect. Normally when one moves the mouse pointer over a portion of the toolbar that program or link appears as an extra box next to the mouse. When the thing has frozen it does not appear. If one then goes to Task manager, everything is running properly, the CPU usage is minimal and on exiting everything works again. Odd?
    Any ideas?
    No virus found and no nasty Ads found either!

2. Loading...

3. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

Re: Toolbar freezing

Hi Palustris,
    This has happened to me on several occasions and I don't know what causes it but it makes me feel like doing this :sete_083: Just a tip: when it happens you can still switch between programs by hold the ALT key and pressing TAB until you find your desired window.

Something in the back of my mind seems to say that a dodgy Windows Explorer window may cause this so try end tasking them using Task Manager and it may correct itself :smt023

Let us know how you get on. I will try to find a more definitive answer for you.

4. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Thanks Frank.
    What do you mean 'a dodgy Windows Explorer'? Do you mean Internet Explorer? I wondered if that was the problem as I.E. has been crashing on start up for a while. We get a nice message. I.E. has encountered a problem and has to close etc.
    I am sure that a new version of it came out recently, will try and donwload it and see if that helps.
    Thanks again.

5. Frank

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Forgot to add, try Firefox as a browser before downloading another version of IE. It's a great browser.

7. Palustris

Palustris Young Pine

Thanks, followed the link, will do what they suggest this evening. Gardening keeps getting in the way. Tried Firefox,mucked the computer up something shocking. We had to re format the hard drive and reload everything to get it all working properly again. Local computer wizard shop man had never heard of that happening, tried all sorts to get machine right before taking such drastic action. So, thanks, but no thanks!