Tater salad help!

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by Hank, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Hank

Hank Seedling

Folks, I need your help.

It is just a short two weeks until our annual family camping trip, and every year we have a mini recipe challenge. This year's challenge is Potato Salad. Now, I make a mean tater salad, but I just want your recipes to see if there's something I can glean from them to add to mine, or maybe just use your recipe in place of mine entirely! (Proper mention will be made here if I borrow a recipe and win.)

Here's my recipe - keep in mind that I don't measure anything, nor does my mother or her mother.

4 large red taters
    1/2 onion
    3 pickled eggs
    4-6 radishes
    1/2 stalk celery
    2 crisp dill pickles
    Fresh parsley
    Olive oil
    S & P
    Coarse ground brown mustard
    Mayo

Scrub potatoes and cut into small chunks. Boil until a fork can pierce them (do not overcook). Strain and rinse under cold water. Chop all other ingredients. Add to large bowl and splash with a bit of oil (tbsp ?). Toss. Add S & P. (the oil helps the s & p stick). Add mustard (Gulden's is my fav. - about 3-4 tbsb). Toss. Add mayo a little at a time, making sure not to get too soupy/runny. Chill. Garnish with an extra sprig of parsley and sliced pickled egg if desired. Enjoy.

I like reds because they seem to hold up better after boiling. Some taters turn to mush too easy. This is always better the second day, but it will continue to get more moist as it sits, so don't go nuts with the mayo when you make it.

Every year the winner gets to be keeper of "The Norman Award", a tribute to my wife's grandfather. The winner also gets to select next year's menu item. Any recommendations are welcome.

Thanks in advance for any advice/recipes/help! :D

2. Loading...

3. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Your potato salad is really a little different from mine, you probably wouldn't like it.I make Mashed potato salad.I just do not care for lumpy p.salad.I also use pimentos and never any oil.I use frenches mustard ,mayo ,dill relish ,boiled eggs,chopped onion .No celery.

4. Hank

Hank Seedling

Mashed tater salad????? As in COLD mashed taters? Say it isn't so! Do you put it on crackers like a dip? (Ewww.) Sorry, but that's, well, unique. :D

5. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

I think it is a Texas thing!!lol! We boil our potatoes and then drain and mash them. Then we add chopped boiled eggs,chopped dill pickles,chopped onions, mustard, mayo and salt& pepper to taste. You just use enough mayo to make to moist not runny!! Some people put pimentos in theirs but I don't care much for pimentos. Some people use instant mashed potatoes but I like to use real potatoes.I know it must sound strange but it is very tasty!!

Advertisement
  6. Hank

Hank Seedling

Wow. I can't imagine it. The texture has to be creepy. Sorry, but I'll pass.

But hey, we eat weird stuff here in Wisconsin too. (just not cold mashed taters....ewww) :-?

7. jubabe296

jubabe296 Official Garden Fairy

8. Pinkiered

Pinkiered The Rose Queen

Ok Whenever my family or freinds get together, Im always asked to bring the potato salad. Ive gotten an award for it and my deviled eggs in the same year at our local fair in Panama City, Fl. Its so simple to make and its great! People cant beleive that its this easy.
    I dont measure either so Ill just tell you how I do it.

I use a 10 pound bag of potatos
    For every three potatos I use, I boil a large egg.

Wash and peel potatos and cut into large chunks. Boil.

When the eggs are done, peel and mash up with a fork.
    To test potatos, using a fork and spoon, scoop up a potato and stick the fork in it. You dont want it to crumble apart but you want the fork to slide into the potato. This way the potato doesnt turn to mush when you go to mix it all together.

When the potatos are done, drain and set in large bowl, add the eggs BUT DONT MIX YET.
    Add mayo and mustard. I like to use spicy or brown mustard. You will want more mayo than mustard. Just enough mustard to give it a little bite.

Add salt and pepper to taste. I also use garlic powder.

Using two large spoons, mix everything together. Tasting as you go. If you taste too much mustard add mayo until it tones it down.

Once you have it all mixed together, cover and set in fridge for at least 2 hours before serving. This will bring out all the flavors and set the potatos.

Thats it.

I always use a 10 pound bag because everyone will fight over who takes the leftovers home...LOL

9. glendann

Sorry Hank but I like it hot not cold potatoe salad .

10. Hank

Hank Seedling

Ab-So-Tootly Right! And warmed up yet? Double yeck.
    (excuse me while i look for some kiszka and kielbasa to go with my cheese curds)

11. Polly

Polly Thumb Gardener

I usually add either juice from the jar of dill pickles or from green olives to my dressing of mayo and mustard.

12. Hank

Hank Seedling

Hmmm....green olives.....hmmmm. We may be on to sumthin....

13. Desert Rat

Desert Rat The Dusty Blogger

Hank
    We had mashed potato salad and we were not sure we would like it. It was excellent. Like the saying goes,"Don't knock it till you try it". By the way, the lady who made it was from Wisconsin. Taste can be a matter of locality. I remember hunting on Washington Island, Wisconsin. Evening visits to the local tavern found the locals enjoying their favorite liquid refreshment, a shot of bitters washed down with a beer.
    Tried it once-no thanks. Washington Island was settled by Icelandic people and runs heavily to blue-eyed blondes who like beer and bitters.
    dr

14. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I was working at the day care and we were planning a potluck and everyone was assigned a dish to bring. Shannon was assigned potato salad. She warned everyone that her potato salad was different because she made it and then put it in the blender and pureed it. No one laughed at her and we all tried it. It was different but delicious. I still like regular potato salad, but every once in a while I mash it. Great! Dooley

15. Hank

Hank Seedling

Oh, I'm just funnin' with y'all.
    Say it isn't so....
    Common here, too. And I don't get it. Kinda makes my mouth weater (in a bad way) thinkin' about it.

16. glendann

You know everyone Hank has a different style in their culture .If I see
    something thats made different I will always try it.I never put that cook down as I wont hurt anyones feelings even if I don't like it. Yes , we talk a little different here in Texas, but ya'll sound different to us too . We just don't go there.Thats your culture.
    By the way you did ask for our help .I was only trying to tell you how I prepare it.