Technology Overload?

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Doghouse Riley, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

A widowed neighbour who's in her seventies, came round last night and asked me if I could sort out her smoke alarm which was "beeping," every thirty seconds. This indicated it needed a new battery. "No problem," I said, "I'll come over, take the battery out and I'd get a new one in the morning when I went shopping and replace it."

No chance, the smoke alarms were supplied and fitted free by the fire brigade, quite a few years ago. It just unscrewed from the base but the battery was hard wired in.

She'd never had any information given her about these supposedly long lasting batteries and she said that the fire brigade no longer fit them. Where she was expected to go to have a new battery fitted she hadn't a clue.

So we came to a decision. She'd two of these alarms, one on the hall ceiling and the other on the ceiling above the first floor landing.

I went into Wilko's this morning and bought a twin-pack of smoke alarms for £9. They come complete with a battery, replacements for which you can get anywhere.

It took me 10 minutes to swop them over.

Job sorted.

Daniel W, Sjoerd and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Well done on a common sense approach to your neighbours safety. We had the same problem a while back and took the same route as you.

Daniel W and Doghouse Riley like this.
  4. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Young Pine

Technology is often one step ahead of us.
    I remember back in 1960, when I was twenty I was working in an office and a very attractive Armenian girl in her late twenties who was a co-worker, was going on holiday with a girlfriend. Her father had bought her a new Voigtlander Vito B camera (he wasn't short of a few bob). She showed me the camera and asked me how to work it. Apertures and focusing seemed to be a bit beyond her, despite me showing her several times. (Or was I missing something there? She was a university graduate). So I got some Sellotape and taped it up. having set it to take an all round reasonable photo. She showed me her photos on her return and most seemed to have come out alright, particularly those of her in a bikini.

Daniel W and Jewell like this.
  5. mart

mart Strong Ash

particularly those of her in a bikini.

Ahhh Haaa !! Now we know about you !!:) You are a sly old fox aren`t you ??

Daniel W likes this.

Advertisement
  6. adam.ca

adam.ca In Flower

the only thing better than a very attractive Armenian girl in her a bikini is a very attractive Armenian girl NOT in her a bikini.
    am i right? lol.

Daniel W and Dirtmechanic like this.
  7. mart

mart Strong Ash

lol,,,That depends on who you ask !

Kay likes this.
  8. AlexFinn

AlexFinn New Seed

Technology can sometimes bring unexpected challenges, like the situation with your neighbor's smoke alarms. It's fortunate that you were able to find a solution by replacing them with alarms that have easily replaceable batteries.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2024