Terra cotta pots

Discussion in 'Garden Junk' started by kuntrygal, Aug 28, 2008.

1. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

I have several large terra cotta pots (currently with plants in them). I am going to turn them over and make a bird bath with them, by stacking them upside down and using the largest drip tray for the bath. I want to paint a design on them and was wondering, if I should clean the inside and out with anything special, in order for the paint to stick. I will be using acrylic paint.

2. Joann

Joann Seedling

I painted some pots many moons ago. I dont remember washing them with anything special..just making sure all the dirt was off. I sealed the pots first before painting and then sealed them again afterwards.

3. cornishwoman

cornishwoman New Seed

Hi Kuntrygal,I have painted clay pots,I used spray primer first,indoor out door primer,then painted them,but any outdoor varnish will work first,then paint.What I found is I could not let them over winter to many years out side,first winter was fine but by the second, the painted surface started to peel.cw

4. SongofJoy57

SongofJoy57 In Flower

Great idea kuntrygal. I can hardly wait to see the end result.

Advertisement
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Many, many, many years ago I watched an episode of Rebecca's Garden in which she made a gorgeous birdbath from the clay pots. That's where I got the idea for mine, even tho I left mine unpainted.

Her instructions are here
    http://www.hgtv.com/landscaping/terra-cotta-birdbath/

She doesn't prime or seal the pots first, just after she paints. Which makes sense because the paint needs to adhere to the clay pot and any sealer put on first would cause the paint to chip.

She used brand new pots, but I would think a good scrubbing might work to get the dirt off the outside of them.

6. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Toni, thanks for the link... I miss Rebecca's Garden. Wonder why they cancel good shows like that. And I think the only gardening show that HGTV has on now is 'Gardening with Paul James'. And he acts so stupid, I can't watch him!!! It will be a while before I get started, but will post a picture of finished project!