terrarium time

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by fish_4_all, Jul 1, 2012.

1. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

Well I got some tree frogs, got a tank and now I need to set it up for live plants, the frogs and some water.

I have 3 very nice Peperomia which I plan to divide since there are 3 in each pot. Being it is a small tank, 3 large ones would not really fit and the frogs would never be found.

I have pretty much everything I need as far as information except one thing:
    I want to use expanded clay for the bottom, window screen to separate and then use only coconut coir for the substrate. My plan is to use the coir to plant the Peperomia in and then lightly fertilize them once a month with a dilute worm casting tea. I figure this is the best way I have to give them nutrients and keep things as safe as possible for the frogs.

Is this a feasible way to keep Peperomia alive in a terrarium or will it be too little nutrients for them?

The idea is keep this terrarium as basic as possible and as simple as possible. If just the compost tea won't be enough is there something I can add and still keep it organic and frog safe?

2. Loading...

3. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

What will you be feeding your little frog? As for the plants, you would be so surprised what lives on little nutrients but that the frog and their food supplies along with sunlight.

Can we see your little world?

Barb in Pa.

4. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I haven't planted it yet or set it up but I will have lots of pics when I do. The tree frogs are really healthy and I can't wait to get them in their more natural habitat.

I will be feeding the frogs Fruit Flies, crickets, confused flour beetles and whatever else is small enough for them and safe for the tank. Crickets are iffy but as long as the frogs eat them they won't have time to damage the plants too much.

I am also thinking of putting composting worms in the terrariums to maintain it and provide natural nutrients for the plants. Supposedly the frogs will them too. I just worried about there being too many worms or having the worms all die and foul the tank.

5. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Remember, you can get small, medium or large ones crickets. Have you ever done darts?

Barb in Pa.

6. fish_4_all

fish_4_all In Flower

I have never tried to raise dart frogs. The company I buy the fruit flies from sells them and has a lot of information on them. Maybe I will try my hand at those tiny little things if I can keep tree frogs alive for a couple years. The tree frogs won't get very big so it should be a natural transition, just have to learn to raise all the tiny food like springtails and such.