Thanksgiving memories vs. Black Friday

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by marlingardener, Nov 23, 2018.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Ladies and gentlemen of "a certain age" have Thanksgiving memories of family, running around outside with siblings and cousins, being checked for cleanliness before sitting down to a feast, and having parents give pre-dinner lectures on behavior and manners.
    I'm afraid that most children now have memories of being dragged to stores for Black Friday sales which begin on Thanksgiving Day. "Gobble down your turkey, Wal-Mart opens in an hour and we need to get in line". How festive.
    How important are the Black Friday (or Turkey Day) sales to you?

Gail-Steman likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We have Black Friday sales here too and I'm not in the least interested in standing in line, in the cold and rain, to see what bargains may be on offer. Nowadays the sales tend to begin before Black Friday anyway and go on until the Monday after it so I don't see the point in rushing off to the stores. I'm quite happy to stay at home, in the warm, and let others push and shove to get a few pounds off something they probably don't really need.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

We had gone down to pickup Randy's Mom to bring her back up here for Thanksgiving dinner with my oldest at her house and the GPS routed us a rather long-winding way back home this morning. Dawned on us that our regular route takes us right past one of the largest shopping centers in Dallas so GPS saved us probably at least an hour getting home this morning.
    Not the least bit interested in shopping in crowds!!!

You can pretty much tell how the economy is doing by how early the holiday decorates and sales in the Fall and how many days the Black Friday sales last.

Gail-Steman and marlingardener like this.
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

[​IMG]

Advertisement
  6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yep that's exactly how I feel Jane!! The same happens here.:shrug:

7. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Well I only look at Black Friday sales on Amazon as I hate shopping out doors unless it's garden centres and I've took advantage of it by buying new Rover 75 car rubber mats / boot mat and car liner and a new Bosch 70 piece tool kit for hubbies birthday... @marlingardener get the :setc_085: out :setc_029:

8. mart

mart Strong Ash

If I can`t get it at the Dollar store,, I probably don`t need it !! Hubby wanted a new TV so his son and wife were going today !! We just gave him the CC !! We stayed home and enjoyed the day !! I may go to Wal Mart two or three times a year,,and thats too much !!

Henry Johnson and marlingardener like this.
  9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I avoid shopping like the plague. We do Thanksgiving and thats it. we don't have children in our family who need new shoes/clothes/age appropriate toys... and we all stay home. My oldest son came home for thanksgiving and left at midnight. I would rather spend the time with my family.

10. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

I shop Black Friday sales every year....but I do it from home, comfortably dressed in PJ's, curled up with my laptop and a cup of coffee! It's been years since I've actually gone to a Mall to shop for Xmas at any time, but ESPECIALLY Black Friday! NO THANK YOU!!!

I do at least 50% of my Christmas shopping on Black Friday, all online, because the deals really are spectacular! I wrap up the rest of the shopping during the next couple of weeks, also online. A week or so before Christmas I dress head to toe in my Christmas duds...and if I do say so myself, I look spectacular!!!:smt082 :rofl::smt082 My Santa Hat, Candy cane earrings, Christmas tree turtleneck, Jingle Bell necklace and bracelet, Santa Suit T Shirt, Christmas wreath leggings, striped socks, and Elf Shoes complete with turned up toes and jingle bells on 'em! Yup, I'm a sight! :p

That's when I take an entire afternoon, and shop, very leisurely, for the last one or two gifts, plus the stocking stuffers. NOT at the mall...just at my local stores. I have a lot of fun jingling around the stores, and giving everyone a great big smile while wishing them Merry Christmas!!

Cayuga Morning and Gail-Steman like this.
  11. Gail-Steman

Gail-Steman Young Pine

Ronni I agree mate and the drop in Amazon prices is great :smt041

12. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Our Thanksgiving here in Ontario is in October, so by the time black Friday happens I am ready to start my Christmas shopping. I do a good part of my shopping online from the comfort of my living room and usually get really good deals!
    The same kind of thing happens here on Boxing Day, which is usually as good for sales as Black Friday, if not better. I prefer to stick to Christmas celebrations and want no part of shopping by then.

13. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@Ronni you're a card!!

I have never gone shopping the Friday after Thanksgiving. I can't quite fathom it.

This year for the very first time since probably high school, I am going shopping with a friend . I am tickled pink about it. We have agreed to be "shopping girlftiends" for the day! I just have never had time to do this before, what with kids and work and house stuff. We are both quite pleased with the idea.:)