Thanksgiving plans

Discussion in 'Recipes and Cooking' started by marlingardener, Nov 1, 2020.

1. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Our plans are "as usual" with the two of us sharing a traditional turkey dinner. We enjoy each other's company and really enjoy turkey and pumpkin pie!
    A friend called and was distraught because her family wouldn't be gathering for the holiday, due to the pandemic. I tried to console her, but no go.
    What are your plans, and how are you coping with changing traditions?

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I honestly have no idea what our plans are. we haven't made any as of yet. as long as everyone is well we will probably have my family in. or at least a few peoples, maybe those who have no family to eat with. the usual 25 ish or so. and those who would rather not gather (like my parents) will have take out plates to take home and eat at home at least.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

well, my plans have been changed already. One sibling is going to see their son in another state because he can't leave work that week. another is hosting their own because her mother in law has always.insisted.on.doing.the.dinner! so, that one isn't coming and another works as a plant mechanic at fritolay and 3 of their 7 mechanics are out sick with the 'vid. so... that leaves me one sibling that can come and that just isn't probably gonna happen. I will make the food for a take out meal he can come get if he wants it.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Carolyn, i am sorry that the holiday won't be the same for you. I hope next year you'll be back to the 25+!!

It'll just be the two of us and our daughter. She's planning on getting a covid test before Thanksgiving.
    Our son is across country this year, so it's too long a drive for him to make it home. We'll see him via zoom for the holiday. We ordinarily have Thanksgiving with two other families but this year, we will simply do a dessert swap with them. Maybe a Thanksgiving day walk?

carolyn, marlingardener and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

thanks. but its okay. its a lot of work and if I am still working on cleaning up outside (like the high tunnel isnt finished yet).. its another few days I don't have to give up to get the outside work done. I am okay with it.

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That's good. Everything has an up and a down side.

8. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Upside--we have been asked to roast two large turkeys for the Thanksgiving Day dinner at a local church, who does a bang-up meal for anyone who needs it. Downside--both of my ovens will be roasting turkeys on Wednesday so I won't be doing anything beforehand.
    Hey, I don't really care--I'd rather use our ovens for the Thanksgiving dinner for the elderly, needy, or those who don't have the facilities to roast/bake/cook for the day. We will still have our traditional dinner on Thursday, and perhaps be just a bit more thankful . . . .

Sjoerd and Cayuga Morning like this.
  9. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The folks will really enjoy your turkeys.
    Why not just pop an extra one in the post to me. Just an idea. Mwahahaha.

10. cuatro-gatos

cuatro-gatos In Flower

I'll be roasting a chicken ( we are not big on turkey), and I'll make the usual sides.
    Mashed potatoes, stuffing, gravy, green bean casserole, yams and PIE!
    It's just the 3 of us making the best of it.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I bought a turkey to smoke this week.

Cayuga Morning and Dirtmechanic like this.
  12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

I went to the grocery today, and was so thankful that I had stocked up on what we need for our Thanksgiving dinner. Canned vegetables were scarce, but I found the last two cans of creamed corn for our baked corn side dish, we have a small turkey purchased after the holidays last year thawing in the fridge (turkeys are plentiful now but expensive!), and I have all the ingredients for our other sides and for pumpkin pie (pumpkin puree made from last year's pumpkins).
    I worry about those who couldn't afford to "stock up" and may not have enough food for their families. We will do what we can to help, but it won't be enough.
    Carolyn, how long do you smoke a turkey per pound? It sounds delicious, and I'd like to try smoking a turkey.

13. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I have thought about smoking a turkey too.....but which end do you light?

14. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

well... not sure it really matters. its really heavy really quick, toni.

and to be serious... I don't know how long to tell you for the smoker. I probably depends on the temperature you maintain in a wood burning one. I smoke it until the internal temperature gets to 160f I think. I did it last year for thanksgiving and we really liked it. I plan on it taking a couple days. it really doesn't take that long but I want to get it done before the day and just warm it back up. if my fire burns too cool it takes longer. its a babysitting job for a wood smoker. not like an electric one where you can set it and walk away for the most part.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2020
    marlingardener likes this.
  15. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Carolyn, thank you--that is the information I needed. We smoke with mesquite on an outside grill/smoker. I'm cutting our turkey in half and doing one part in the oven traditional way, and the other half I'll smoke. I have a meat thermometer, and will check on the internal temperature frequently.
    There are electric smokers? Who knew . . . .

carolyn likes this.
  16. Dirtmechanic

Dirtmechanic Young Pine

I suspect our plans are advanced. I came home to a roasted turkey breast this evening. Knowing how to read tea leaves, I consider this an opportunity to smoke a Turkey on the big green egg when the holiday rolls around.

carolyn likes this.