The American Bittern...weird how you can stretch your neck so far!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Sherry8, Jul 24, 2018.

1. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

We were enjoying an evening on our porch with one of our daughters and this bird came flying over to one of our trees...we kept thinking about the only bird we knew with a long neck was the loon but after checking it out it turns out it is the American Bittern. It stayed for quite a while and they said in an article I read that they stretch the neck out because: I got this information on the internet...Possibly the most famous aspect of bittern behavior is the stance it assumes when it perceives a threat. It points its bill skyward, elongates its body, and even sways with the breeze, all to blend in with its reedy surroundings. This pose is so ingrained that bitterns sometimes adopt it even when they’re out in the open.

July 24, 2018 035 (2).jpg

July 24, 2018 070 (2).jpg

July 24, 2018 079 (2).jpg

July 24, 2018 094 (2).jpg

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I've only ever seen a bittern once and, even then, it had to be pointed out to me. It took me a while to actually make out that it was a bird. It was in the exact position of the one in your second photograph. The stretching really does make them extremely hard to spot when they're among reeds. I'm so glad you managed to capture the bird out in the open.

Sherry8 likes this.