The Beginning Of Fig Picking Time!

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by cajuncappy, Jun 25, 2016.

1. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Henry Johnson and Philip Nulty like this.
  2. Loading...

3. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Oh yum! So many figs, I am very jealous. This is going to be a great year for our little fig tree due to the very mild winter and damp, mild spring. Now if the darn sun would start to shine, ours would hopefully start to ripen. I have been and counted, and if they all ripen, we will have 53. Yummy! The tiny ones that won't ripen, I pick and make a Greek preserve called sugar spoon, or sugar sweet or something, but they are basically pricked and soaked to remove the sap, then cooked in a sugar syrup several times, and finally bottled. They are delicious with icecream. Mmmmm

4. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

Today a dozen made it to the freezer with about that many more getting ate on the way:)

Henry Johnson likes this.
  5. Henry Johnson

Henry Johnson In Flower

WAY TO GO, Cappy & Peggy ! ! ! !
    I dearly love Fig Preserves with hot biscuits; makes the best breakfast imaginable....
    Hank

Advertisement
  6. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Our Figs are close to ripening. We bought our tree (16 yrs ago, it is huge now) after our 20th anniversary trip to a bed and breakfast in south Texas...a cabin in the country....there was a huge Fig tree next to the patio so we planted one at home in honor of that weekend when we found one at a nursery. When it started producing, we were excited about having fresh figs but soon realized that we don't like Figs so every year after that it becomes the worlds largest bird feeder through July and August.
    And we have seen many small Fig trees in yards a round the neighborhood that were planted by passing birds and the homeowners appear to be happy to have them.

7. cajuncappy

cajuncappy In Flower

after 2 days of thunder boomers we got a huge bowl full picked and now we have a full fat gallon bag full in the freezer we can hardly wait to have 3 of those to make a big batch of preserves they make great gifts for neighbors and friends for the holidays.