The City Council are reviewing the chicken ordinance...

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by fatbaldguy, Feb 5, 2017.

1. fatbaldguy

fatbaldguy In Flower

It would appear that anyone with a lot of 1/3 acre or more can have 6 hens. (No roosters will be permitted). Since I have just over an acre, I will interpret that to mean I could have as many as 18. :setc_040:
    I will need some solid advice as to a hardy breed that will return to the coop on their own after a bit of foraging in the fenced in back yard. I will of course, have a run well secured from predators. A decent laying breed also good for meat. My chickens will be named Fried, Roasted, Baked, Rotisserie, Stewing, and Noodles, etc.
    Headed off to Google now for a bit O' research. Thanks for any help offered.

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

I recommend Rhode Island Reds. Good size, quiet and gentle ( depending on how raised of course),excellent laying hens with no major problems I am aware of.

4. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Used to have "Red Star." Extremely prolific layers and a decent size. A bit high strung but not overly bad.

5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

We have Black Australorps, which lay a LOT of eggs. Don't know about the meat thing since these are our feathered pets and I grieve when one dies of old age. They are a hardy breed, able to withstand Texas summer heat; fairly calm and if handled from a young age will be even calmer; and if trained with treats, will return to the coop when you want. I have a metal pan that I put stale bread, leftover pizza, and other edible treats in and tap on it with my fingernail. They know the sound, and follow me to the coop where I dump the treats. They go in and are safe and sound for the night. I really like my Blacks--and sometimes I think they like me . . . .
    Here's a link that might help in your searching: http://www.greengardenchicken.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=72

6. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

I've done exactly what Marlingardener does. I've trained the chickens with a metal pan. I've clanged it and tapped it and they always come running soon as they seem me with it so easy peasy to get them back into their run and coop. Makes getting them back to you real easy.