The continuing saga of the Asparagus Fern.

Discussion in 'Houseplants' started by Ronni, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

OK seriously, this is getting ridiculous. That asparagus fern I posted about a couple of weeks back? It put out some long, stalky thing that you all told me was just a new stalk and it would develop leaves and flowers......remember that?

Well, look at it now! Unfortunately it's really hard to photograph what it's doing, but hopefully from these different perspectives you'll be able to get at least a glimmer. It now has 2 stalky things that are TWICE as long as the longest frond on the plant! Still no leaves, and no flowers, just two extremely long stalks that just poke out and do nothing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is it supposed to do that? Or do I have some kind of mutant plant that is going to shoot out those stalks in the middle of the night and strangle me?! :eek:

Philip Nulty likes this.
  2. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Just let them do what they want and you will have little leaves develop like the shorter one in the back. You will see.

My friend had one in a bright sunny window and in the Winter it developed stalks like yours that were probably 10 feet long. It was amazing. I always thought it happened from lack of sun but that was not the case there.

Hers did get flowers on it after the leaves appeared. Then they developed berries or seeds. It was spectacular.

http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/54

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

I just wouldn't sleep in the same room with that thing. They definitely want to take over the world, but I'm not sure if they're homicidal or not. Any new news?

4. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Thank you! I believe they're evil. :twisted:

Other than those fronds just getting longer, no. :( No leaves, no flowers, no berries.....nothing but those.....those.....TENTACLES!!!! :smt064

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  5. purpleinopp

Oh man, have you seen Jumanji? LOL! Let's hope it remains a laughing matter.

6. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh Lord...don't! Don't insert that into my brain, or I'll have to start sleeping with weed killer....or a gun. :smt067

purpleinopp likes this.
  7. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

I really don't like to ruin the party but asparagus fern is a noxious weed in Australia and is not allowed to be sold anywhere.
    It takes over very quickly along beaches, in the bush,and in backyards.It has lots of tubers underneath secretly planning the next takeover bid.

8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

chocolate, That sure is not funny but you are.... :D I can see how they would be troublesome as they really reseed very eaily.

If I left mine outside it would be dead in the first Winter. I have a few Foxtail Asparagus for over 20 years now.

9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh great. :(

Now I can just add that to the night-terrors.....the tubers expanding so much that they shatter the clay pot the fern is growing in, and.........and......... :eek:

Did any of you ever see the movie Invasion of the Body Snatchers? THAT'S what's in my head now. Thanks. Thanks a lot, chocolate! :setf_049:

10. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Ronni, Your asparagus fern looks perfectly normal. The "things" are fronds and will develop leaves, just give it time. Maybe in the spring you will see flowers and berries that will ripen to a beautiful red come fall. I have several in my greenhouse that I kept outside all summer long and are now just vegetating in the greenhouse with their little berries awaiting me to pull them off. I plucked a few and dropped them into jiffy pellets last week, but there are way more than I will ever need on one plant. I doubt that you will find them to be invasive there. I think it gets too cold for too long for them to survive. They will tolerate a frost, but I don't think a freeze or prolonged frost.

Chocolate, do the birds eat the berries there and actually digest them or just spread them around in their droppings?

11. purpleinopp

Carolyn, the timing is a little different where they are hardy, but those berries readily sprout wherever they fall, eaten or not. Awful weeds here too.

[​IMG]
    Asparagus fern. ( photo / image / picture from purpleinopp's Garden )

Philip Nulty likes this.
  12. chocolate

chocolate In Flower

Good morning, nothing is funny about asparagus fern Ronni...I have actually had it break pots!The tubers just want to be 'out there'.No matter how the birds deal with it, the tubers will win,not so much seeding.
    If you empty the pot you will see small, white looking, marble sized, explosive tubers, pretending to be your friends, pleading for a larger pot.
    OK take no notice and laugh out loud!But not for long....It will soon be on 'World News'

Can hear it now....
    'Gardener taken by asparagus fern...not expected to survive..emergency services hesitate to take action at this moment for fear of being grabbed!
    There seems to be no spray or antidote available in U.S.A.
    World wide search goes on for help!'

And listen carefully I WILL be laughing out loud!

13. purpleinopp

Just checking in to make sure you're still OK, Ronni? Do you remain free from bondage of your wild-whipped plant? Hope you're able to offer an update!

14. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

Oh my Lord!!!! You don't even want to know! :eek:

That plant is out to get me, I swear it is. Those TENTACLES are now long enough to drag on the floor.....and the plant is on my dresser, so you get some idea of how long they've become!

I will post another picture when I get home tonight....I've been meaning to, and your post reminded me.

I swear, the thing is going to strangle me in my sleep! It's just waiting for the right moment! I would put it out in the living room, but I don't want it to get my dogs, who are tiny little 3 pound bundles of nuthin', and won't stand a CHANCE against Mr. Tentacles. :(

15. purpleinopp

OMG - RUN!!!!! LOL!