The deer ate too much

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by member18439, May 25, 2013.

1. member18439

member18439 New Seed

Hi all .... when I lived at our house, I had 20 daylilies. Each vacation we went on, I would pick up 2 or 3 of them - different varieties from any kind Ihad at home. They were yellow, white, pink, white with pink edging, purple, red, some had a lovely fragrance, some were very small and some tall. Well, the last two years before I moved out of the house, at night, when the buds were just ready to open ..... the deer would stroll through and eat every one of those buds!
    I love animals of all types, but then .... it was grrrrrr .......
    abby

Moderators Note: Cleaned up subject line

2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Oh deer, I have never had deer eat my daylilies. I have eaten them but only the plentiful ones. A recipe for a deer repellent that I have never tried it so I can not attest to its viability:

Mix blended jalapeño or cayenne peppers with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a squirt of Elmer's glue and a dash of dishwashing soap and add to 10 parts water. Shake well and apply to your plants with a sprayer. Reapply after a heavy rain.

Too bad about your daylilies. Do you have more that will emerge later in the season?

Jerry

4. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I've never heard of deer eating daylily's and the deer eat just about everything around here! I suggest trying a deer repellent such as 'Skoot'.

5. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Abby, I can so relate! The deer here do not eat the buds (there must be more delectible fare instead), but they do eat the new shoots as they emerge. I have 3 hostas that they just seem to LOVE! They always get them every year before I can spray them with foul smelling stuff.

Jerry--I have been buying some stinky stuff to deter the deer. When it runs out I'll try your concoction. Yours doesn't look like it would smell, which would please hubbie.

6. member18439

member18439 New Seed

Well, I don't live there anymore since the divorce, but in summer I drive by frequently and try to see through the woods to be sure they have not pulled them out. Like it's any of my business! But, I loved those things and they hold deep good memories.
    abby