The Empress has been moved!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Netty, Jun 8, 2015.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Some may remember me complaining about the progress of my 'Empress Wu' Hosta last year ... that thread is here. http://www.gardenstew.com/threads/the-progress-of-my-empress-wu-hosta.27115/
    That particular Hosta was one that I spent a lot of money to get (seems to me it was $22, more than I would ever pay again!) and it just wasn't performing as I had hoped. I tried more water, fertilizer, compost and manure in hopes of giving it a boost but nothing seemed to help. Many suggested I move it. I even wrote to the Ontario Hosta Society and was told that it takes 5 years to mature and I should be more patient. This season would be it's 6th in my garden and it still looked sad, so out it came!
    IMG_8873 (600x800).jpg
    I dug it in along the side of the garage, where it will get more moisture, more sun, and more room to grow. If this doesn't work, I'll move it again!
    IMG_8874 (600x800).jpg

Sjoerd, Frank and Jewell like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Riccur

Riccur Seedling

Nice, so you ended up moving it? Is the second picture where you moved it to?

4. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I feel your frustration!!!! Hopefully the move will motivate her to get on the stick and do something!!

Netty likes this.
  5. Netty

Yup. I hope it does better there. I've been waiting 6 years already LOL

Advertisement
  6. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Netty, what an uncooperative hosta. I am new to hostas but have found some of them to be unpredictable. Wonder if yours is one of the reverting hosta plants? (maybe it decided to be smaller) I have two named varieties where I bought four of each variety. Darn if I didn't start out with them all looking like the named variety but for one rogue plant that changed in the following years. Yours certainly doesn't look like a princess wu and I feel your pain. How frustrating when those next it are so nice and much bigger.

Good news is the prices for the princess have dropped to under $10 (on some sites) over the six years.

I paid too much for a hardy orchid that came up this spring looking great then died for some unknown reason without even a bloom. I appear to do better sticking to the sale tables.

7. Netty

I have a few picky Hosta, that did poorly where first planted, and then perked up once they were moved. I just moved another one called 'Fire Island' as well, I think it was bigger when I planted it! I hope they both do better now!

8. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

Nope, it looks nothing like an Empress Wu yet. I hope it takes of for you now. I think you gave it plenty of time in the old spot so hope it likes it new one and takes off for you.

9. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

I was tickled to see my Krossa Regal came back! I hadn't seen it yet but found it poking up through old tulip leaves and poppy greens:) I was afraid it wasn't in a good place but appears to be doing just fine! It was a sale plant:flower:

10. Netty

The simple things that make us gardeners happy :)

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Gosh Netty--I would begin to wonder if your E.Wu wasn't mislabled at the nursery. In spite of where it was planted, I would have expected it to have been larger that what your piccy shows.
    Please do keep us updated on its progress in it's new location. Oké?