The First Blushing Beauty

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by Sjoerd, Jul 19, 2008.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well I was really happy when Gardenmamma showed her first red tom...but I was also a teensy-weensy bit jelous. :oops: Heh heh heh. ...or maybe just purely impatient.
    For days and days my toms have remained green and shiney; then all of a sudden, they began to show hints of an orangish tint.
    Well, finally the day has come...I have a blushing beauty too, and now I become re-aquainted with that terrible temptation to pluk it. What is it with my fingers...they start itching and wiggling as they feel just like the MUST pick any tom that is more red than green. It seems like I always pick my toms about three days too early.
    I have already long ago given in to the will to eat it. I will not get more than ten paces from the greenhouse before being devoured in the most bestial and decadent manner. Actually it may not even ever get to know what it is like to be outside the greenhouse at all.

Ok then, now to show you how it's looking inside the "tomato palace". Here is the first one:
    [​IMG]
    The path between the rows is again narrow after three severe defoliating treatmnets.
    The cordon plants have been topped-off.
    [​IMG]
    The bush varieties have been pruned and supported. IO shall soon need some sort of netting support for thier trusses.
    [​IMG]
    You can see the bare cordon stems that support the trusses.
    These will not need supporting nets, as the toms are a bit smaller and ripen quicker.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. waretrop
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. GrandaddyDayCare
      Replies:
      Views:

3. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

Now we are talkin my kind of gardening!! Nice looking maters and bunches of them too.

4. gardenmama

gardenmama In Flower

Those plants are looking great! Can't wait to hear how that first one tastes! Looks like several others have a ting of orange going on...Congrats! Your hard work is really paying off! :stew1:

5. playtime8978

playtime8978 In Flower

fantastic they look great and you have so many over there mine and my parents tomatos are not doing great we are thinking the weather conditions are not ideal so im turning green at the gills :smt088 we have a good few on our miniature tomato plant but the taller varieites are just veging with very few fruits forming they have been fed and watered as required lets just hope that it will be quality not quantity :-D ;)

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Sjoerd your gardens amaze me once again I think they can't get better and then they do.Great toms.

7. Biita

Biita Arctic-ally Challenged Forager

Thats looking really good there! Won't be long now Sjoerd, just hang on buddy.

I finally got some flowers on mine and have been leaving the windows open, during the day. All i do is chase bee's out the house, but i'm not complaining one bit, i just want a homegrown tomato! lol.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

My mouth is watering Sjoerd! I just can't wait until mine are ready!

9. kuntrygal

kuntrygal Texas Rose

Blushing beauty is right. They look delicious. Just wish I could eat them! :(

10. petunia

petunia Young Pine

Wow, you won't have long now. I've just tied mine up today. We have some medium ones. Hope they ripen soon. Yours are looking great.

11. PepperDude

PepperDude In Flower

Sjoerd if you don't mind me asking what are the names of the tomatoes that you are growing?

12. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

Beautiful tomatoes - I am envious as we have to struggle to grow them here on the coast. I've had two heirlooms so far. I know you'll be enjoying yours soon. Yes, we'd like to know the varieties you have.
    Gardengater

13. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

You lucky lucky devil. That first home grown tom is always the best, and usual eaten just before it is as ripe as it could be as we are all just tooo impatient. Mine are miles off looking like that, now I am the envious one!

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

PD & G'Gater: I only grow two types--a bush type: the 'Legend'...and a cordon type: the 'Ferline'.

Pretty straight-foreward types that give me bountiful harvests.

Ahhhhhhhh EJ--they'll be taking on colour before you know it.
    My partner laughed out loud at me when she caught me kneeling in front of that red tom rubbing my hands together like some kind of ogre. :oops: