The First Real Day Of The New Season

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

We have been going to the lottie every day now doing all the spring clean- up jobs. Some of the most important tasks were to cut back the years’ growth of Clematis and Lonicera. I removed tens of meters of the stuff. Take a look at the bare sitting place pergola-
    8523B0C8-8A2E-4E9E-8013-5A6065B95946.jpeg

I have cleared all of the arches and racks now. These two look no chillingly naked in the weak sunlight:
    812DE09F-283E-4F91-8AB9-C94D0D221823.jpeg

The Debris we are rolling- up and planning to take away to the municipal compost organisation. We will also take some of this wonderful mulch away...but also some will go into the large, tough plastic bags to be saved until the fall when they will be again conscripted into service.
    FD6B441B-ABD6-4D6A-B522-C59C9047A910.jpeg

The paths also needed edging. Here you can see that we have made a start on this project:
    8D441BBA-3D5F-4FFE-8450-E12C6AB822B9.jpeg

Today we are really feeling that our season has begun. We rolled back some mulch and planted some onions. Only two rows, but if they do it, it will be enough.
    E7473F72-DD4F-4CD2-8C0D-FBE65B9BE92C.jpeg

We stuck a spade in the ground near to the bed for the tiny robin to come and sit on whilst it surveys for worms worked upwards from the raking...and there were oodles of worms under the mulch !

We are talking about making a start on removing the soil from the greenhouse...perhaps as early as tomorrow.

I have been pruning the Buddleia’s ( sp?) and Rhamnas frangula trees. The twigs and branches are piling up, so we shall have to bundle them off to the composterie as well.

We are pacing ourselves for a change with this work. Usually we just get stuck in and work like horses...this time we really are trying not to do too much in one day. It sort of goes against our grains.

Another big event in our lockdown day was picking up our seed orders from the clubhouse today. It was organised perfectly with room and a trajectory to walk. Everyone had to pay beforehand— no payment, no pickup. Simple. The organisers sent us all a window of time to come and pick our orders up.
    We could zoof in and out quickly.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Growingpains, Odif, eileen and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

You certainly have a good start on your season! It always is amazing how much you get done, and how lovely everything at the allotment looks.
    If the weather cooperates, and the soil dries out a bit, we will be planting potatoes next week. The potted herbs in the barn need trimming back, so that may be a small task for tomorrow.

Growingpains likes this.
  4. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

You got a lot done. Excellent work looking good.

Growingpains likes this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

It must be a good feeling, being back at work in the gardens Sjoerd!

Sjoerd and Growingpains like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

It feels too good for words, Netty. :D

Growingpains likes this.
  7. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, I feel pangs of jealousy, but my good nature tells me to be SO happy for you and your Bride. Both of you work hard and it shows. The
    lottie parcels are trimming up beautifully.
    I fear putting anything in the ground which would be bitten by late frost.

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks a lot, Clay.

GP— your time will come, and I hope your time will be there soon. The cold weather and ground can sure be frustrating when you want to be planting things. About a week and a half ago we had snow and ice on the frozen lottie ground, and you can see how quickly things can change. It can happen there as well.
    I am glad that you like the way the parcels are shaping up.

Growingpains likes this.
  9. Growingpains

Growingpains Young Pine

Sjoerd, thank you for the encouraging words.

Sjoerd likes this.