The First Seed Order Is In

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Sjoerd, Feb 6, 2010.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I just had to post something, I just HAD to.

Time was ticking away and I was waiting and waiting for a parcel to arrive (they said that they came by yesterday morning to deliver it but no one was home. Wrong!).
    After a good complaint they promised that it would come today...only trouble was that they could not say when, so that meant that I had to just hang-around the house and wait, instead of heading out to the allotments.
    Well the packet finally arrived, and what was it? The first seed order from T&M. :-D

Well any hope of heading out the lottie faded and was totally forgotten about--there were seeds in that packet...and some simply HAD to be planted right-away.

I noticed that there was something extra in that packet: a "Seeding Starter Kit". :eek: What the heck!?
    At first glance it looked like a bunch of junk, but after a further investigation it wasn't so crazy after all.
    Have a look:
    [​IMG]

There were some plant labels (w/pencil), some watering roses made to fit onto plastic drink bottles (in this case a Royal Club Tonic Water bottle) and a dibber. Not crazy at all, actually. Sometimes T&M include little freebies or you get the most expensive pack of seeds free; it wasn't totally surprizing, I just don't recall the starter kit being on the order list.

So what got planted were four types of Tagates (Marigolds), for different purposes.

--The "Boy O' Boy Orange" and the "Boy O' Boy Yellow" are destined for the flower boxes that adorn the front balcony.

--The "Moon" are tall ones that will be planted under the plum trees in the hopes of warding-off aphids which were very bad last year.

--Finally, the "Lemon Gem" I will use as a path liner in the flower garden this coming season.

Now if I can keep the gigantic slugs off them, they may be fun to have and attractive to see.

I planted the seeds in wet potting soil, then covered them with a very thin layer of seeding soil and covered that with vermiculite, using the new watering rose to water the lot in.
    I then placed the planted seeds on a heating pad and covered them with cellophane to germinate.

2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I do like marigolds. Not everyone does because they do not smell as nice as some. They are beautifully colored though. I plant them with my allysum. I looked at them in the new seed catalog that I received yesterday. I even marked x's on a bunch of them. But, I will probably just go to the plant nursery next month and buy my seeds and some already started plants. We got our new address yesterday and the electric company was out about installing the electricity and our mobile should be moved in the next two or three weeks. I'm hoping we can get moved in before Wannabe comes down in March. (not April)
    dooley

4. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

oh sjoerd, what fun! i love it when we get little surpizes of seed and what not with our seed orders! looks like you have some neat stuff to work with there.

i grow the 'Lemon Gem' every year the last few and they are so pretty and petite. was just looking at the others you mentioned earlier this morning and thinking of trying the 'Moon' one.

can't wait to see your pics!

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Dooley, I am not understanding your posting clearly.
    What do you mean that you will be getting your new address? Are they changing the street names there or something?...or are you moving to a whole new house?
    What is a mobile? Here it refers to one of those small fones that one carries around.
    I hate to seem so dense, but I simply do not understand.

Anyway,. I like marigolds alot. I like their fragrance very much. It is something that I recall from my childhood. There were alot in my grandmother's garden and I plated with them out in the dirt. hahaha. Summers with my grandparents wass wonderful. The smell of marigolds brings that memory of a wonderful time back to me.

Advertisement
  6. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

ah, sjoerd, i love the smell of the marigolds too. should i post my 'Marigold Wine' recipe here for you? it tastes sort of like a wine cooler! :D

7. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

BUNKIE--Yes it is fun when little extras are included with orders. :)
    I was surprised to learn that you have grown the "Lemon Gem" as well. It will be my first time for that one this season. I have no idea if they will be good to line paths with or not...so we shall see.
    I hope that you will like the "Moon" one. I just hope that it will grow tall enough to help out with the aphid problem.
    I would like to see that Marigold recipe of yours...and I think others would too.
    I don't make things like that, but I am always interested in how it is done and what all goes into it.

8. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

I'll put it in a blog, about the new address.
    dooley

9. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I love marigolds and always plant some every year. The flowers last for ages and they really brighten up the garden. Their scent is one I love to have wafting around on a warm, sunny day. :-D

I couldn't sit on my hands any longer and just had to put an order in to T&M too. I'll have to wait until March to receive my plants though as I've ordered 140 Busy Lizzie plugs for the front garden planters. I simply couldn't resist the beautiful White Egret Orchids they have - three bulbs will be arriving with my Busy Lizzies. Roll on March!!

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

You really got a great package today Sjoerd.I like Marigolds too.Hope you keep the aphids away.

11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ok DOOLEY--Thanks.

Way to go, EILEEN. Lets hope that they give you a speedy delivery. You have ordered some nice stuff....Roll on spring!

Thanks GLENDA, me too. It's worth a try. It works well for me small scale in the veggie patch, but if it will work under the plum trees, is another matter.

12. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Ilove marigolds too. My favorite are the small orange and brown ones, that are very ruffly. Here they refer to them as french marigolds, I don't know why. I love the fragrance. They bring back nice memories for me too Sjoerd and they scream summer. Petunias do the same -- I remember we would sniff the blossoms until they stuck to our nose and laugh and laugh.

I like those rose attachements!! Sounds liek you had a gardeners Christmas in February.

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ah, another marigold lover. :)
    I like those two-toned ones too. This year I am trying types that I have never used before. I am curious how they will work out.
    Those rose attatchments were nice. The holes in them are different sizes, which is handy.

....Christmas in february......what a thought. :)