The Good Day All Thread

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Frank, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Friday morning all. Currently -9°C and sunny. The weather roller coaster continues today, and our high is expected to hit 8°C. That should get rid of most of the snow that fell yesterday. I'm waiting patiently to finish cutting down my asparagus stalks from last year.
    I was out grocery shopping and treated myself to some 'Stargazer' lillies. I once had some in my garden and the darn chipmunks dug them out and ate them. Hopefully these will grow without disturbance. I also bought a few new strands of solar string lights for my cattle panel trellis that I accidently cut through during fall cleanup. Looks like I'm all ready for spring now!
    Have a great day all :)

Willowisp0801, Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Happy month of March to you all! We are still chilly by our standards, if not by Netty's! I'll make some chicken vegetable soup, do a bit of housework, and watch the birds clean out the feeders, once again.
    Netty, when up north with chipmunks and squirrels, I protected my bulbs by putting them in the dug out bed, putting chicken wire over the bed, then finishing by filling in with the rest of the dirt. It worked for us, and may for you.
    Enjoy the first day of what will be a good month!

Willowisp0801, Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.
  3. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Happy March 1st! We feel still a ways from spring with some low teens over the next ten days, but the squirrels think spring is here. The chase is on! Even through the porch yesterday hahaha. That had Angus spinning on his heels.

Today my neighbour friend is coming for her haircut. It is her 80th birthday next week and I'm hosting a tea for her and a few of her friends. She gave me her mother's set of china a few months ago. It's a 24 piece setting, so I will be busting out her Mom's china for her little event. It should make her happy. I haven't been to town for three weeks so for a gift I'm giving her some Cupid's Dart and Gazanias that I started from seed for her garden in the spring.

Weird weather the last few days brought some Thunder Snow, which I've only witnessed twice before. Strange having thunder and lightening in a snow storm. That eventually turned to hail that would have decimated my gardens in the summer. Two inches of hail fell and then froze overnight, so yesterday was scraping off the deck, stairs and vehicles. Then a big plough. Hopefully all will be calm now.

The kitchen smells of homemade bread today, one loaf for Hubby and one for my friend to take home. ( after we have grilled cheese and tomato soup for lunch). :) Her family is away today so she will have lunch here and take dinner home for later.

I hope March goes as fast as the rest of past months, and spring will be here before we know it. :)

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Delightful to see you back on here, Mel. It sounds like your social calendar is all full for the time being.

Advertisement
  5. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Last month I ran through my Kanopy account for the month in two weeks. Kanopy is a film and video site accessed for free with public library card.

So today is 1 March, and my account is reloaded. The first thing I watched was a documentary about a Chinese fleet admiral and explorer who guided the largest fleet in history from China to Africa in the early 1400s. Interesting.

Willowisp0801, Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  6. Clay_22

Clay_22 Young Pine

Currently overcast 37°F 3°C. Today's forecast rain high near 46°F.

Willowisp0801 and Daniel W like this.
  7. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Today I went to the pharmacy - a 30min drive because I have to use the health plan pharmacy. There is a Trader Joes near there, so I bought an orchid plant. Also various treats, such as some Ancho and Cheese Tamales. Really, the only thing I really like there is their orchids. Kind of a special treat.

I painted the new, repaired, or non-matching areas of the bathroom walls with some old left-over almost-white latex paint. I discovered the contractors had done writing on the walls with thick black markers that bleed through the paint. Now why did they do that?

But I know a few things. Some spray shellac will seal it and no more will bleed through. Then I can paint with a base latex coat, and finish with the final coat. So I sprayed it with some shellac, and will paint over those areas again tomorrow. (Change of mind. I think I'll get a primer-sealer in the morning and paint everything. That will give a more even base).

The main goal tomorrow is paint the ceiling. If that goes well and I have energy, I'll paint the walls.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  8. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Sjoerd...Thank you friend. :stew2::stew1::heart::flower:

@Daniel W - well Buddy - you had us at "liquid nails". WHAT?? Hubby and I have been looking it up and reading about it. We can get it on Amazon - but we've never heard of it. With our home built the way it was ( an original cabin built on logs by an early 20 something young fella with a dream, and then multiple additions as family and knowledge grew) we often have the need for charismatic repairs. I'll look forward to chatting with you about this "liquid nails" thing. ;)

Today was a good but busy day. I brought down a S##t tonne of firewood for the next four days as we are dropping into the mid twenties at night again for a while. I don't want to have to haul it from the woodshed every day and then take the stairs up to the loft fire every day. I'm a squirrel at heart and everything is stock piled now. Best to get it over with I think.

Hubby and I had the long chat about what to start and plant this year. I was thinking about going very lean on the gardens for a rest - but then we saw the prices of produce. We tend to stay home over summer and enjoy the land, and there are no big events this summer, so full on it is. hahahaha. I'm relieved to not wonder if I should start seeds or not. The future is so bright I gotta wear shades. :cool::p

9. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Daniel no snow up your way? It all is hitting us big time…your just across the river from us… Lots of snow for the dogs to play in. Best part no muddy puppy paws.

Liquid nail is a necessary component in my repair kit around here. Holds many different things inside and out. It fits perfectly in my battery op caulking gun.

And shellac on walls to keep stains from bleeding thru paint works great. Used it several times holds up for years. Last winters wind storm sent a branch rocketing thru the scupper near the down spout on the roof caused the roof to leak. Patched the area outside then inside snd sealed the water stain on the ceiling with shellac. Have to paint it yet … UGH ..movin all the furniture is a big job… will maybe get to it this year.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2024
    Willowisp0801 likes this.
  10. Willowisp0801

Willowisp0801 In Flower

I know the feeling, Daniel. Last year when my basement flooded; we had to have a plumber out to fix the water main that broke, and of course the hot water heater went out because the bottom of it was under water, and he had to figure out why the basement drain wasn't draining the water. So since he was there I had him fix the kitchen sink (it hasn't drained right since we moved in) and it turned into a huge ordeal. Needless to say, some people (and I'm thinking of the previous owners) should not try DIY unless they know what they're doing!

I'm happy for you that your bathroom is almost done!

11. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Good Monday morning all. Currently 3°C and foggy. We've been for our walk and now its coffee and gardenstew time.
    Yesterday, DD had a few of her skating students at competition, and since she doesn't drive I had to take her. While she was busy with the kids, I went across the street to a store that had my Ozary snacking rounds - something I love to eat but can never find near our house. I bought all 6 packages they had, and put 5 packs in the freezer haha Now I'm good for a few weeks. Today, I need to get to work on spring cleaning. Weatherman says its going up to 10°C today, so that should allow me to get some windows done inside and out. One of my least favourite jobs to do, but I absolutely hate looking though dirty windows!
    Have a great day all :)

Willowisp0801 likes this.
  12. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

That sounds like a nice day Netty - windows are very rewarding to clean, even if we hate doing it ( include me in that one). :)

It's a brisk -20 C this moring. I'm a little tired but still managing to do a vast majority of pre 80th Birthday party cleaning. A wee man of four will be here so I'm so glad that I kept my son's Hot Wheels, and some magnet building blocks in the house. He should have fun. :)

I was surprised to have wolves around last night which kept Angus and I awake. I thought with the easy snow year they would not come down out of the mountains. They do follow the deer, and I had a herd of 9 Whitetail in the pasture two nights ago. They also follow the moose which migrate down from the mountains to the river for a feast of willows in early March. The wolves were close enough for their howls to wake me up in the house and get Angus barking. I turned on the outdoor lights and did some yelling, then Angus and I sat on the sofa under a quilt and read until everyone calmed down. They left shortly after the lights and the crazy lady in the housecoat. I could see their tracks this morning in the fresh snow, it looks like there was about five. It's snowed so much they are covered now.

I'll leave an outdoor light on for a couple of nights so they know this space is occupied. Time to hang out the no vacancy sign. And hopefully sleep tonight.

I may bake the carrot cake this afternoon and have it ready for icing tomorrow. Birthday girl requested carrot cake with cream cheese icing. :)

Willowisp0801, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  13. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

Sounds delicious! What a lucky birthday girl!

Willowisp0801 and Sjoerd like this.
  14. Daniel W

Daniel W Hardy Maple

My highly suspicious mind sometimes thinks that once you let a repairman into the house, all sorts of things go wrong. It's a reason I try to do it myself.

I am repairing the small spot of water damage in the bathroom ceiling before it gets painted. It's a ceiling corner. I can't access it from above, so I drilled a couple of holes and squirted expanding urethan foam into the space above it. That should seal, and fill in any void spaces. It expanded back into the damaged area. Now I will cut off the part that is sticking out into the bathroom, and spackle. I hope it's invisible and durable when Im done.

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Exciting account, Mel.
    I enjoy your postings.