The Hibernator Returns

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Droopy, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Hello all! I'm so sorry for my very long absence, but truth be told I've been tired of all things computer and internet for a while. I've read the news, checked weather and e-mails and that's about it.

In case you're wondering what I've been up to, here's a quick walk-through:

In 2014 I've been riding:

[​IMG]

One of my nephews had his confirmation celebration:

[​IMG]

We had a medieval market do close by:

[​IMG]

I've been gardening:

I went foraging and came home with lots of Allium ursinum. It grows wild here:

[​IMG]

Since I turned 50 last year, my mother-in-law turned 80 and our son-in-law turned 40 I asked if I could pretty-please bring the closest family with me to Rhodes. So we all went to Rhodes. We love Rhodes.

[​IMG]

When we tried to leave Rhodes, the Chinese president decided to pop in and see us off:

[​IMG]

We proceeded to Telemark, and went on a sluice safari on the Telemark canal:

[​IMG]

Since I spend so much time at the stables, I decided a tapas lunch with my fellow stable mates and closes family was the thing to do. So that's what we did:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Yes, I love Winnie the Pooh!

And to treat myself I asked a photographer I know to pop in and take a few snaps of me and Truls:

[​IMG]

My mother gave me a ring for my 50th. The goldsmith had been burglared so he had to make this one on order which makes it even more special:

[​IMG]

2015 has had its ups and downs so far. Truls's very best friend Dorthe had to be put down at the age of 22. She tore a tendon and there was nothing to do. We miss her. Truls to the left, Dorthe to the right:

[​IMG]

Our tomcat Lord Paint also had to be put to sleep due to cancer. He was 12. He moved in 11 years ago, we don't know where he came from:

[​IMG]

This summer we went to Sweden, Denmark, the Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and Germany. We followed a few yellow brick roads and found, amongst other things, an old planetarium:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We visited some friends too, living in a Dutch town with this lovely harbour tower:

[​IMG]

This year's summer was cold and wet, but at least the cherries outside an old farm barn ripened. I had to pick some, as I do every year. I don't rightly know if I'm allowed, but my means of escape also doubles as a ladder so... :

[​IMG]

Since the autumn has been very nice until today, the swallows left later than usual. I was sorry to see them go but can't blame them:

[​IMG]

This year's Christmas dinner has been gathered in the fields. Only two more months and they're on my table. At least parts of them:

[​IMG]

Our first autumn storm is gathering strength outside. I have to get ready for the stables in order to be home when the girls get back from school. Some days feel totally texas. And the explanation for that expression is in this article:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-dai...ns-use-the-word-texas-as-slang-to-mean-crazy/

It's worth a read.

Well, that's about it I guess. More details may follow as the winter closes in and my outdoors life is reduced to the few hours of daylight we get during the next four months.

carolyn likes this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Sjoerd
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. eileen
      Replies:
      Views:

3. Droopy

Dear me, I forgot to brag about the morels! I found morels in my garden this spring. Enough for a nice little mushroom meal just for me.

[​IMG]

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey there Droopy.
    What a great pictorial! It was nice to see what you've been up to. I liked all your foto's but I have to say the one of you and Truls was the loveliest---Definately NOT the foto of a 50 year old. How do you manage to stay so young-looking?!

Naturally, I liked all the foto's involving food. Those mushrooms really looked scrummy.

Obviously the Dutch images were special to me as well.

The Telemark canal is pretty interesting to see.

I knew you liked cherries, but making a horseback raid was surprizing! :D

So nice seeing you on here again, miss.

Droopy likes this.
  5. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Welcome Back Droopy! We have missed you!
    As much as we have missed you, I am so glad that you have been out DOING things! Looks like you have been out having a great time and spending time with Truls.

Droopy likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

So great to hear from you Droopy and catch up on all of your adventures!
    I'm very sorry to hear about Lord Paint and Dorthe :( They were with you for so long that you are going to miss them a lot I'm sure.
    I'm in agreement with Sjoerd, you look much younger than your years.

Droopy likes this.
  7. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

:wave:Well hello there!! It's so good to see you posting again Droopy as you've been sorely missed.
    Rhodes looks like a great place to spend a vacation and I'm glad you enjoyed yourself there. I'm sitting here typing this with severe hunger pains and it's all your fault - that food looks so delicious that I wish I could reach into my computer and try some!!

I love the photographs of you and Truls and the ring you got from you mum is beautiful and just the right gift for you.

I'm so sorry to hear of both Dorthe and Lord Paint. I know both will be missed terribly. Does Truls have any more friends to share with now that Dorthe is no longer with you?

I hope we'll be hearing more from you now that winter is approaching and the daylight is getting shorter.

Droopy likes this.
  8. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Droopy, sorry for your losses in the last while, but it wonderful to see you "back in the saddle" as we say here. and a very Happy Birthday to you also.

Droopy likes this.
  9. Ronni

Ronni Hardy Maple

And she's back!! Hey droopy, so glad to hear from you.

You've been busy, chica! My condolences on your losses, :smt087 loved your pictorial tour, :smt003 and welcome back!! :wave:

Droopy likes this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

So glad to see you back on the Stew! As others have said, you were missed--a lot. Truls looks as lovely as ever, and your pictorial tour was so pretty, and so interesting. Welcome back!

Droopy likes this.
  11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

YES!! Droopy is back!!! It is really good to hear from you again.

"Some days feel totally texas." Ummm, thanks, I think.:suspicious: But the Norwegian meaning is certainly different from what most of this country thinks of Texas. I remember your photos of the wild-west theme park a few years ago and how Texas stands out in that theme so I know you all like us more than some here.:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear of the loss of your 4-legged family members, mourning a loss is hard enough on humans, I hope Truls is okay.
    Congrats on the milestone birthday, you really don't look your age, and the birthday ring is gorgeous.

Droopy likes this.
  12. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I enjoyed your pictures and your descriptions very much! Welcome back.

Droopy likes this.
  13. Droopy

Thanks everybody for your warm welcome-back greetings. :smt060 I've missed you lot too. I see the lay out has changed during my hibernation. I guess Stamp has been busy. *lol* I'll probably get used to it. It looks nice. :stew1:

Frank likes this.