The Impatient Parsnip

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

I really just couldn't wait another day...so the bride went under the parsnips and scratched around a few of the shoulders of the parsnips. Here is one that she exposed:
    pastinaak5.jpg

This is a good candidate to lift, so up and out he comes.
    pastinaak.jpg

We took two for supper.
    pastinaak2.jpg

They were just lovely to see. and when we got home they fried-up nicely.
    pastinaak3.jpg

These fried 'snips were eaten with beef and spuds. They tasted really good in spite of the fact that we went against the "rule of thumb" on when to lift them---after the first frost.
    For those who have never eaten parsnips---I find that they have a flavour similar to carrot's.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
    KK Ng, carolyn, Philip Nulty and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

Similar Threads
    1. Jerry Sullivan
      Replies:
      Views:
    2. Petronius
      Replies:
      Views:

3. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I know little about them and have never tried them but I thought they were used more in stews than fried. Yours look so delicious fried that I may have to give them a try!

Sjoerd and Philip Nulty like this.
  4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Very nice Sjoerd,..tasty as well being fresh,..i love parsnips,..either on their own or sometimes mixed and mashed with carrots or swedes :like:

Sjoerd likes this.
  5. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

I love fried parsnips... I haven't had them in a long time. They are hard to find if you don't grow them yourself and I seem to fail every year to find a spot for them. maybe next year. You enjoy yours and show us a nice picture every time you dig a few to eat.. yum.. drooling here!

Philip Nulty and Sjoerd like this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

2OF--We use them in several different ways. Fried, puréed, in stir-fry's and in stews. I hope that you give them a try sometime. I would be interested in hearing what you think about them. Here they are classified as a "forgotten vegetable", but I never forgot them...I LURVE 'em.

Ta PHILIP--I have never eaten them in a way that I didn't like.

CAROLYN--I didn't know that you liked parsnips...or perhaps I just forgot it. Anyway, I hope that you don't forget to plant them next year. They can be difficult to germinate, but this year it was easy-peasy and the g-rate was very high.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

it's not that i forget... I run out of space and time to get them in. Maybe I should plant them this Fall and see how that works.

8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I planted parsnips in the veggie garden at work this year. They were surprisingly hard to grow! Their germination was slow, as was the growth, and they were very hard to keep weeded without disturbing their root. They did not like the heat of our summer this year, but they have done well in the past month or so. I keep them in the ground all winter, and the chef is free to pull them during the winter. There are usually lots left in the spring and I will pull them on my return to work in April.
    I have only eaten parsnip once, and I really don't know what to do with them. Yours look delicious!

9. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Oh that looks delish... Note to self: Must make that next week....

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

CAROLYN-- I would not advise planting them now. They are notoriously difficult germinaters and need warmth. I would wait until the spring.

NETTY--I find that parsnips are always hard to grow. They are difficult and unpredictable germinaters at the best of times. Generally speaking I have to make a few plantings in each row because the germination rate is so poor. I do some in the ground, but then when there are holes to fill in the rows-- I force them to germinate at home, wrapped in a wet paper towel and kept in a closed plastic ice cream tub...placed on the radiator or on the sunny window sill for 24 hours. Even this way the seeds do not germinate all at once, so I then take the tub to the garden and plant the ones that have a little tongue of a root tip coming out. It is fiddly work and has to be done with tweezers. I repeat the process until all the rows are full. What a headache! To be honest though, it is all forgotten when I lift the first white beauty.

Don't forget now, WARETROP.--I hope yours taste good.