The Mailbox Project, finally!

Discussion in 'Garden Design' started by CrisGzr, Jul 30, 2012.

1. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Husband finally did what he wanted to do to finish the mailbox -he paid someone to do it! LOL Gotta love the guy!

[​IMG]
    mailbox installed and mulched ( photo / image / picture from CrisGzr's Garden )

The guy we hired to do some landscaping had a dozen or so hawthorne bushes left over from another job. He told us they had sat in buckets behind a shed for a while, so we could have them for free. This is a price i have a hard time saying no to! I looked up pictures online and liked the look of the bushes. They somehow remind me of the quince bushes everyone had in their yards in NH when I was a child.

[​IMG]
    handmade wrought iron mailbox ( photo / image / picture from CrisGzr's Garden )

I have a patch of brown-eyed susan's in front of the house. The landscaper suggested transplanting them to the area behind mailbox. I think that would look lovely.

2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a beauty your mailbox is - I love the colour. We have lots of Hawthiorn hedges around here and the birds like them as nesting places as well as food sources during the autumn months. Getting so many for free is fantastic!!

4. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

I know! I love getting anything free. DH likes the look and will probably end up having this guy extend the hawthorne to the end of the property line. I love anything that attracts birds and butterflies.

5. stratsmom

stratsmom Flower Fanatic

It all looks so clean and fresh! I really like your Condo birdhouse in the background :p

Advertisement
  6. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Thank you Stratsmom, every spring the mail lady and I are tortured by a Carolina Wren who nested in the newspaper slot. This year we removed her nest daily but she built it back faster than we could keep up! The mail lady was losing her patience, the bird would fly right into her car and scare the daylights out of her! She'd also fly out each time I checked the mail and scare me.

A local man builds these condos and the moment I saw them I thought I might actually win against at least one animal in my life! LOL

They are built very nice and each has a door for cleaning... not sure I want to clean up after birds, 4 dogs, a cat and DH is enough!

The new mailbox has no newspaper slot -so, we'll see next year! I'll leave her a good pile of husky fur as a peace offering next spring.

7. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

Your arrangement looks so welcoming. :D I love it! Congratulations on your very good bargain too.

8. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Thank you Droopy, now for the rest of the yard.

9. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That is a cute story Cris. I hope your little wren makes use of the bird house next year instead. She sounds like a very determined creature.

10. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Cayuga,

I am basically thinking I am here to wait hand and foot on the living creatures on these 4 acres!

If the yellow jackets were smarter, they would be nice to me and they probably have me building their nests...

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  11. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Great looking mailbox and a great birds eye view for all the residents of the bird village. :)

Jerry

12. CrisGzr

CrisGzr In Flower

Thank you Jerry, I love watching the birds. I'd feed them more if they would just eat yellow jackets!