The margin of life, a woodland story.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, May 21, 2013.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Back to Index

Our property includes a portion of woodland, a corridor that occupies the backyards of lots on adjacent streets. The corridor is wide and often used as a byway for the local fauna, deer and coyotes the notable large animals. A good walking route for wild turkeys. The woodland is home to many native flowers. Their existence dependent upon the environment as homeowners change the footprint of their properties. When we originally purchased our property it had 64 more trees than it has today, however, I still can not see the house on the member satellite map. Flowers dot the tree shaded floor sharing it with grasses, fallen logs and low bushes. Over time their locations shift, reflecting the changing environment. Recently I 'discovered' two Jack in the Pulpits. While it was the end of the season the red seed pods attracted my attention. The seeds are now in pots and are being watched as is one corm found with the seeds. Starflowers pop up between the decaying oak leaves and Canada Mayflowers are everywhere. Indian cucumber root with its small green flower inhabit an area between several white oaks and its root does taste like cucumber. A neighbor on the next street took down several large oaks which had shaded a good portion of the area. The sun which until that point had penetrated the leafy canopy in small shafts of light to briefly touch small portions of the floor, now lit the area for 2 to 4 hours. A Honeysuckle bush, small by usual standards has over two years grown to twice its former size. At 12 feet across it now dominates the flora beneath it. One of the wildflowers now within the bush's shadow was Stylophorum diphyllum (Wood Poppy). Each May, yellow flowers would announce their presence. Last year they were silent. This year I looked for their familiar shaped leaves, I found none. Their environment had drastically changed. Over the past couple of weeks I continued my search. Today my hunt was rewarded, I found a small set of leaves, probably not large enough to produce a flower this year but large enough to be relocated and prosper next year.

[​IMG]
    Wood Poppy leaves ( photo / image / picture from Jerry Sullivan's Garden )

The margin for life is sometimes very thin and occasionally it needs a helping hand. Maybe next year I will again see yellow wood poppies in the woods. Time will tell.

Jerry

Last edited: Dec 3, 2015
  2. Loading...

3. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Nice save Jerry!
    Your "backyard" sounds so inviting and interesting.

4. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Hi Jerry,..well done saving the Jack In The Pulpit seeds and the Corm,..that plant has so many names and an attractive one when the red seed pods are showing,..also top marks for potting the Wood Poppy.

Its sad when you think how the areas have changed,..everywhere!,..and plants we were used to seeing in certain locations no longer even exist,..some years ago i was told that a small wooded area was due for leveling so off i set and took home about a dozen Cowslips and Primrose,..the area was leveled there is nothing there now,..however the Cowslips and Primroses are enjoying the new home in my garden.