The petunia test

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Jerry Sullivan, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Has anybody ever conducted a petunia test? I was thinking about doing one and wondered about it's ability to correctly identify light density.

Jerry

2. Loading...

3. purpleinopp

purpleinopp Young Pine Plants Contributor

Interesting. What is the Petunia test?

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Jerry Sullivan

Petunias, sensitive to light, grow best and flourish (flowers and seeds) in full sunlight. As the light diminishes the plant fairs less (some flowers, less vigorous plant structure), indicating partial shade. In areas of full shade the plant will not produce flowers, just leaves. I normally do not plant petunias as I have an abundance of shade. My test, if this proves accurate will indicate the few areas that have enough sunlight to qualify as 'full sun'. I can then purchase flowers that I normally would never try.

Jerry

Frank, Cayuga Morning and Jewell like this.
  5. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    My test is to buy, try, and see if they thrive or die. If they make it and flourish good, if they fail do not repeat. My yard has changed micro climates so many times in so many areas that plants here need to be versatile in their living conditions. Some of the smaller varieties of petunias are doing pretty good with only early morning sun. I am a very lazy gardener. Now if only the weeds would be more selective in their habitats :whistling:

Advertisement
  6. Jerry Sullivan

Actually I have found that some weeds are selective. The crabgrass for instance will grow in our front yard but not in the back yard. The line of demarcation is most defined. As I only monitor crabgrass I can not attest to the preferences of other undesirables.

Jerry

7. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Anybody have random perennials growing in their lawn? That for me is the demarcation line between a "spreader" and an "aggressive invader".

Your petunia test sounds interesting Jerry. More practical than those sunlight measuring devices that don't seem to measure anything!

8. purpleinopp

TY for the explanation. Solar-powered lights might be easier to quantify. Put them in various places & then see how long the light lasts after dark for each one.

There's a definite difference between plants that thrive in a cumulative amount of about 6 hours of direct sun per day, but many of them do best if it's not all at once, and not during the hottest part of the day. I've always thought there should be a 4th category (beyond full shade, part shade, and full sun) of "all sun" for spots with literally no shade, and the plants that really do like that condition.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  9. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

Rose campion is a perennial that can grow in the lawn. I planted some for one customer. They have spread to her side yard and the neighbor's back yard.

10. Cayuga Morning

Interesting Petronius. In my yard Rose campion is only a spreader...now black eyed susan, & feverfew have proved to be aggressive invaders.

11. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

My maternal grandmother has Rose campion growing in a flower garden. One year I dug one that grew in the grass and transplanted it in the flower garden. It actually grew and flowered!
    :stew1::stew1::stew1::stew1::stew1::stew1::stew1::stew1:

12. purpleinopp

I have found all kinds of blooming plants in the grass, mostly bulbs! Crinums, Gladiolus, Oxalis crassipes, Narcissus, some kind of garlic, hurricane lilies (Lycoris radiata,) Hypoestes & Coleus sprouts, spiderwort (Tradescantia), Paraguayan purslane (Portulaca amilis,) and some mystery bulbs that have not bloomed yet. Foliage looks like Agapanthus but could be something else.

13. Cayuga Morning

purpleinopp likes this.
  14. Jerry Sullivan

None have died. They are still perky I will have to wait till the season is over to make the final judgment.

Jerry

Cayuga Morning, purpleinopp and Frank like this.
  15. Cayuga Morning

Let us know Jerry. I have been curious about this. We don't have full sun anywhere on our property & I am always pushing the envelope with plants.