The rodent still has his paw on the winter storm button :-(

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by Jerry Sullivan, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

True to his word, the popular rodent from Punxsutawney is stacking up the snowstorms to the tune of 3 in 10 days here in the northeast. Winter indeed will not give way to spring until the stroke of midnight March 20th, if then.

Grocery shopping was put off last week due to downed trees, horizontal utility poles and the narrowing of roadways as downed tree limbs waited near the curb for a ride to a local tree branch grinding facility. Looks like we are in for an encore presentation. We have some feathered friends that have taken much delight in sending their suet feeder plunging to the snow covered ground. Little do they know if it happens in the middle of a 12 to 24 inch blizzard, there it will remain till the heat of May melts their entombed winter fare.

Soon the Nor’easter will lash the environs of New England and white on white will be the color of the day. We are planning for a power outage when the storm envelopes the area with 40 to 50 mph winds and sculpts the snow drifts into strange winter creatures.

Tic, tic, tic.

Type with you in June, May if we’re lucky,

Jerry

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Odif likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

Our niece lives in New York and has had some bad snows with her son home from school but it hasn't been a bad winter here. Not the usual amount of snow. Please don't send it this way, we don't miss it. What we have now is melting and there are just patches of snow here and there. I hope yours melts quickly but not so quick it floods everything. Please take care if you have to be out and around in it. dooley

marlingardener likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Hi Jerry, yes, we certainly have been getting walloped lately, huh? I hope you will be able to stay home tomorrow, hope you have a generator or access to fire wood for a wood stove.

5. Jerry Sullivan

Many years ago after a major winter ice storm had us sleeping over a friends house for almost a week, we purchased a gas fired heating system for the fireplace. We have used it several times since to keep us warm when the power goes out. Fantastic!! With a large book library, dvd's for the computer, and warm nights by the fire, we are two snug bugs in the rug.:) The only disadvantage with the power going out is I can't communicate with my Stewbie friends.:(

Stay safe, stay warm,

Jerry

Cayuga Morning likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh...the groundhog, right?
    I saw a film once about him...sorta.

BTW Jerry, don't you have a mobile fone for contact with the outside world?

7. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

feeling for you! I am sorry you are getting it again. I was so tired of snow in January! I think we plowed salted and shoveled for a week solid, but you have no place to put the snow when you get walloped with 4-6" or more at a time every day. or no melt temps in between. I am not sad we aren't getting it. hopefully it blows out over the Atlantic.

8. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@Jerry Sullivan

I well remember that storm. We hunkered down in place in front of our fireplace. I have a very cute photo from that time. My kids were still young & because we were all going stir crazy, I trundled them to a mall that was open. I wound up having their photos taken at one of those cheap places. (What else to do?) The photos capture the moment so well: both children are bundled up like they live in the Arctic and both have bright bright cherry red cheeks! They were incredibly over-dressed for the heated mall!

9. Odif

Odif Young Pine

The title made me laugh

10. Jerry Sullivan

The snow accumulation is at 19.7 inches and it is still coming down as twilight darkens a whitened landscape. This time the power did not fail and the pantry is full.:) The snow will stop sometime tomorrow morning. The weather person hinted at yet another storm next week. Oh joy:(!! Oh joy:(!!

Sjoerd: my mobil phone is ages old, before smart phones. So, anything other than a voice call is next to impossible.:(

The birds know where the food is and have been around all day.:) Egg and breadcrumb mixture went out for the bluejays moments ago. They will make fast work of it before I wake up in tomorrow.

Stay safe, stay warm,

Jerry

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  11. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh dear, Jerry.
    Well, at least you can call out if the land lines go down.
    Hang in there, mate...and stay warm.