The Runners Are In

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

A few weeks or so ago, I posted a little piece on the preparation of the runner bean trench--well now the runners are in and here's what they look like:

Those were the trenches that I dug, filled with paper then covered with compost and soil under the racks there in the distance.
    [​IMG]
    Now after letting the ground settle and prepare itself further, I have planted the runners. Here you can see how the roots develop in the root trainers.
    [​IMG]
    Then, I just remove one and place it into the holed made in the trench with a tulip bulb planter.
    [​IMG]
    After planting the beans under their racks, then I watered them in well and then covered them with straw as a mulch to hold-in the moisture and prevent the sun from shining directly onto the soil where they are planted.
    [​IMG]
    They are all ready now to grow and produce their beans...the only thing that I have to do now is find the patience to wait.

2. Loading...

3. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Hello Sjoerd. I enjoy your demo posts so much. I have never seen such a thing as root trainers. It looks like it is important for the roots of these beans to grow downward rather than outward/ straight rather than around and around? Is that so? Why is that? And is that why you dig a narrow deep hole to "fit" rather than snuggle them into a softer hole? I'm looking forward to the next chapter.
    Daisybeans.

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hiyah Daisy--
    The thing about root trainers is that they are designed to allow plants to develop a large rootball before planting. It is true that I do not want their roots to grow in a circular manner because this type of bean naturally develops long, deep roots to search out moisture.
    But I deviate...I was saying that the thing about roottrainers and big root ball development is accomplished by directing the roots downward where they can grow out the hole in the bottom. When they do this the air causes the tips of the roots to dry and die...just the tips. This means that back up in the soil theplant's roots produce "side branches" as it were--like when you prune a tree or pinch-off a plant to make it bushier. See what I'm saying?
    You know Daisy, roots determine what a plant will and won't do. The bigger the root ball, the healthier the plant and in turn the healthier the plant, the more flowers and fruit it produces.

I punch a narrow hole in the soil because that's the general shape of the rootball when it's taken out of the root trainer--there's no need having the extra room that I would get using a trowel, because all air space must be filled with soil so that an air pocket won't develop. Further, using a tulip planter is quick.
    The soil where I made the holes may look hard, but it isn't it's very loose and thoroughly worked.

I hope that my thinking is clear to you. If I am not being clear, let me know and I will try again. :)

5. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Your reply is very clear and easy to understand. Interesting about the side root development. Thank you for taking the time to go into it in detail. Do you start all of your plants in the root trainers?

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

No Daisy, I do not use root trainers with all my plants. I also use little paper 'pots', rolled into a tube shape for some things...and for other veg I simply plant them directly into the ground...and others I plant in cells and transfer those into a larger pot before planting out--it just depends upon what plant seeds I am germinating.

7. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

Fascinates me. So much new info. Thanks, Sjoerd. Enjoy your day now. No more questions from me!!! (For a while, at least.)
    DB :stew2:

8. bunkie

bunkie Young Pine

very cool pics sjoerd! i am definitely trying these root trainers next year...unless i'm able to acquire some in time this year. glad you explained about the air pocket that could be formed in the soil if not done properly. i have an old cow horn i found on this place that i use to plant tulips, garlic, etc... wonder if that would work?! :D

thanks for the pics, too. amazing how nice and long those roots grow!

9. EJ

EJ Allotmenteer Extraordinaire

Excellent Sjoerd. So does this mean The Netherlands are now a frost free zone? I have only just planted the seeds on the allotment with the hope they will germinate in the next couple of weeks when the risk of frost is (fingers crossed) all gone.

10. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

Sjord,You make it sound so easy and I know it takes hour to get the beds just right.Your explanations are fantastic.I thing you need to write an illustrated book and have it published,You are that good.Thanks for your time and patience.Your beans will be along soon.

11. Droopy

Droopy Slug Slaughterer Plants Contributor

I do agree with glendann. A little book on what you've learned and where you've failed would be nice. :D It's a shame not to give other people a chance to learn from you.

12. gardengater

gardengater Young Pine

I've been looking forward to your tutorials, Sjoerd. Have learned much and am waiting for the flower garden photos too.

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

:smt023 Looking good Sjoerd!

14. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thank you guys again for such great compliments. It's so encouraging.

Bunkie--an old cow horn? That sounds very interesting--do you use it like a dibber or do you use the opposite end to make the holes? I'd like to see a foto of that thing in use. What a novel idea.

Well Emma, it is frost free for the moment but until what we call "de IJsheiligen" one must always be alert for a sudden onslaught of frosty evenings. I've got my fleece at the ready and if necessary I will go out to the lottie after work and wrap-up my babies. :)
    I hope your runners make it without incident.

Glenda and Droopy, you guys CAN'T be serious. chuckle. Well it is a very sweet thing to sday, though. With all the thousands of books already out there, I honestly do not think that such a book would sell. Besides who needs a publisher when I can just make a contribution on here from time to time, right? ;)

Thanks to you, GG and Netty too. You guys are very kind as well.

We have been having rain off and on now for two days and it came at exactly the right moment. Things should really be taking off soon now.

15. daisybeans

daisybeans Hardy Maple

I would like to add my opinion on the book idea -- I think it is a wonderful idea. The things you post are not the kinds of things I have ever seen in any other book. Your photos are great. And your explanations are clear/informative and friendly at the same time. A winning combo.
    DB

16. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Ahhhh that is too sweet, DB. [​IMG]