The Texas Star - Should I move it or not?

Discussion in 'Member's Gallery' started by cherylad, Jul 1, 2010.

?

What Do You Think I Should Do With the Texas Star?

Poll closed Jul 8, 2010.
  1. Move It?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Leave It and Move other flowers?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Had the family BBQ over the weekend. Everyone loved all the flowers I've planted at the house. Big topic of conversation was the Texas Star Hibiscus and how big it is and whether I should leave it where it is and move some other flowers... or move it to another location.
    Here's the photo again.

[​IMG]
    6-20-10 ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I've added a poll (hope I did it right).

2. Loading...

3. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Cheryl...I would not choose either of the poll choices, for I would not move anything at this time of year.
    Any transplanting I would do would be in the very late fall or in early spring (my favourite choice).

But if the choice is not "when", but rather, "which"-- Then I would choose to leave the hibiscus where it is and move the others.

I really hope that you do not think that I am being awkward (difficult or smart-alecy) here, it is just that I have had extremely bad luck trying to do transplanting in the summer, and as a result I do it during the times mentioned above and have 100% success with that.
    An exception: strawberry runner plantlets. They MUST be planted in August here.

4. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I wouldn't move it now or at all actually. Hibiscus has a very large root system, spreading out for several feet from the main root ball and one that size could be damaged or killed by moving it.

Like Sjoerd, late fall or early spring is the best time for transplanting especially down here in this heat.

5. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

I agree, if you do want to move the pretty Hibiscus...do it in the late summer, or early fall. I actually moved a Hibiscus last August successfully after reading up on how to proceed.
    Yours is very pretty, but it's hiding your house...that could be a good thing, or not, for you and your family.

Advertisement
  6. Lil Bug

Lil Bug New Seed

Texas Star

Girl , I wouldn't move it.I'm all about having everything I look at being pretty. How good is the view from the porch with it not there?If the view is better with it moved find a place to use it's height to block something you don't want to see.But I agree with everyone about not this time of year.My sister gave me ten seeds and I had no luck.I have to get some more now that I have seen yours. :sete_011:

7. cherylad

Guess I should have been a little more specific.
    If it were to be moved, it would be in very early spring. There's no way I'd attempt to transplant anything this time of year.
    When I planted it there, I didn't realize how big it was going to get (I've been growing it in a container for the last couple of years.)
    My original intent was to have flowers from my aunt's planted there. And even though the Texas Star is from an aunt... it just doesn't leave any room for the other plants. Plus, to me, the "look" isn't very good since everything is all jammed in there.
    Since there's plenty of time to decide on what to do... I thought I'd get some "expert" opinions from here. (and I wanted to see how the poll function worked too! :p )
    And I truly appreciate everyone's input.

8. cherylad

And Lil Bug... you did bring up a point that I hadn't thought of... the view "out". If you're sitting on the front porch, the Texas Star DOES block out some of the neighbor's junk. Hmmm... one more thing to factor into the equation.

9. Lil Bug

Lil Bug New Seed

Right ,that matters a great deal to me.I'm so visual!This morning over coffee the topic was my honeysuckle, on our property line ,does not grow tall enough to cover the :smt018 , now new neighbor across the street, two trucks that he parks in his front yard.

10. lisah

lisah New Seed

I voted to move it. I love the width for the spot, but the height seems to block too much of the porch and front door, unless you like the privacy. If privacy wasn't an issue, I think I'd move it to the right corner of the walkway (as you look at the picture) next to the house. I think the white on the house would make the color really pop. Love the plants!!!

11. shadygardener

shadygardener New Seed

I agree that you move it, at the best transplanting time for your area like you said. This hibiscus will likely grow even taller next year. I would plant it out so it doesn't block your porch but blocks something unsightly or where you can still see it from your porch.

12. wannab3gardener

wannab3gardener New Seed

It looks nice but I think it would look even better if you will have just flowers and plants that won't grow too tall. I would love to see your porch too :)