The ultimate "book case" for a smartphone!

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Crafts' started by S-H, Dec 1, 2017.

1. S-H

S-H Young Pine

For almost 2 months, just looking at the cracked screen of my old smartphone was making me very angry...
    :mad:
    I of course take excellent care of my equipment. However I am totally powerless when accidents happen because of other people - More on that later...

IMG_20171201_104849-540x960.jpg

The phone still continues to work fine. However looking at the 5.3 inch display through a cracked screen was most annoying... So this Black Friday, I decided that it was time for me to get a new Android Smartphone. It was about time also, as I had been using this phone for almost 3 years now. Therefore it was truly obsolete by every standard, (newer apps couldn't even get installed anymore).

But now the question was, which phone to pick? Black Friday Doesn't come everyday, so now was the time where prices on some smartphones was slashed up to 35% (believe it or not)... So keeping my sense of practicality, I opted not to get a top of the line flagship smartphone. But one which had the biggest battery. Because endurance matters the most to me. After which, physical ruggedness, (as I didn't want the new phone to get damaged so easily).

So I picked the Chinese brand Xaiomi's Mi-Max 2 smartphone. As this has the biggest battery in the world right now, 5300 mAh!!! Plus it's screen size too is a gigantic 6.4 inches!

Mi-Max-2-vs-Mi-6-top-angle.jpg

See how big it is when placed side by side a normal smartphone...

Anyway, after a lot of old fashioned real world legwork, (as thanks to Black Friday the phone was sold out on all websites within the first few hours) - I probably grabbed the last available phone in the city!
    :cool:
    However now I ran into another problem - The book case, (for physical protection against shocks, moisture, and accidental falls). But because of it's huge size, such a case wasn't available anywhere, it still isn't...

Thankfully I was able to get a ruggedized back cover, and a gorilla glass front screen protector online. But a book case for ultimate protection I was still without.

So last night I got the idea, to why not create one for myself! Therefore I got hold of an unused dairy, saw a few videos on YouTube, and created a secret book safe!
    :cool:

IMG_20171201_045032-960x540.jpg

I basically hollowed out the dairy from the inside, and then glued all the pages together.

IMG_20171201_053913-540x960.jpg

End result is an unimaginably durable smartphone case, which no cellphone thieft will even consider giving a second look to. As this is after all urban camouflage!
    :D:like::D

IMG_20171201_102241-736x629.jpg

This really is not a joke, as a lot of people have (in my city) lost their lives while trying to resist armed cellphone thieves. As well as a few robbers too have gotten killed while trying to steal from someone who they stupidly thought was unarmed. Almost a year ago I too had an encounter with 2 armed men on a motorcycle, demanding me to handover my phone. I however kept my phone, while they got injured very badly. But more on that later...

Right now I am very happy with what I created today! Not only is this the best urban camouflage ever, but also is giving more physical protection then a real book case of a smartphone.

IMG_20171201_061409-960x540.jpg

IMG_20171201_105841-540x960.jpg

Last edited: Dec 1, 2017
  2. Loading...

3. Odif

Odif In Flower

Good work, well done.

Philip Nulty and S-H like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Now your new 'phone is doubly protected. No thief would know it was inside the book and it's less likely to get damaged or dropped!! Congratulations for thinking 'outside the box' and coming up with your homemade solution. :)

Philip Nulty and S-H like this.
  5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Very good to see you posting!!! Great idea for hiding your phone too. I pity the fool who tries to pull anything like that on you. :like:

Philip Nulty likes this.

Advertisement
  6. mart

mart Hardy Maple

Well if you are not the smart one !! Just take a pen with you and no one would want someones stodgy old diary !! Great idea !!

Philip Nulty likes this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Way cool! Great idea and might just try that myself ....

Philip Nulty likes this.
  8. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Great idea S-H,..i am always aware of the damage caused by a phone dropping and have seen people drop their phone with cracked screens resulting,..i never thought of doing what you have done,..well done,..now to find a Diary to suit mine.

9. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

well done S-H.

Philip Nulty likes this.
  10. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I am going to be needing 2 new phones very soon. So I thank you for the little special info...I have kept a note of all your info and will consider it at that time....thanks.

Philip Nulty likes this.