The Water Lilies Now Have A Home - updated

Discussion in 'Water Gardening' started by cherylad, Aug 5, 2010.

1. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

I had ordered some water lilies to go into one of my small container water gardens. Found out that "miniature" lilies are still pretty good size. So I had to get them a nice home. But I really didn't have the money to spend right now. So... had to do it as cheaply as possible. Container. No problem. Have a big one that my brother got for me last year that would be about perfect. It's about 1.5 feet high and 2.5 feet wide. The outside would need some help but I had a plan for that. (zero dollars)

[​IMG]
    big planter ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

But it would need a liner. And there was no way I was going to spend $30-40 for a pond liner. My brother said he had a big roll of thick plastic and I could use whatever I wanted. (zero dollars)
    So... I make sure I get enough to triple the thickness and line the pot. While doing this I noticed that the plastic was not in very good shape... it seemed brittle. But I had to give it a try. And yep.... it leaked. (zero dollars)

One of my neighbors noticed me stomping about and muttering. He said he had a plastic water barrel that I could have. He asked about what height I needed and I told him 2 foot high. I got home and there it sat. It was a little tall... I should have told him 1.5 feet. But no complaints.
    I brought him a six-pack of his favorite beer. And now I had a leak-proof container! ($7.00)
    So I washed it out and placed the plants.

[​IMG]
    barrell pond ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

I scrubbed down the outside, but it was still kinda ugly. Remember I said I had a plan to cover up the ugly black planter? Remember I said I had a lot of bamboo growing where I live? Well... my plan was to cut a bunch of bamboo to length and tie them together to make a "sleeve" to cover the pot. All it would take was to buy some string... and a LOT of time.
    Well... I'm not that patient sometimes... especially since I've been trying for a couple of weeks to get these water lilies a home. So, while tending to the other plants, I had an idea. Measured the barrel. Jumped in the truck and headed to Big Lots (a discount store). Found what I was looking for. ($5.00)

[​IMG]
    bamboo curtain ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

The curtain fit the measurements of the barrel EXACTLY! Now I was glad the container was 2 foot. Picked up a can of spray-on shellac ($7.00) and coated the curtain on both sides with it. Hopefully it will keep it from deteriorating quickly.
    And here's my latest water container garden.

[​IMG]
    barrel pond finished ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

Told my neighbor to come take a look. He liked it. I asked if I could have the other half of the barrel, too... in case I'd ever want another garden. He said he was about to throw it away because it was just one foot tall and he didn't think I'd want something so shallow. (We both originally thought the barrel was 4 foot... not 3.) So I got the top and already have a plan for it. My Louisiana Black Irises would love to have a larger home! But that's a project for Spring, I think.

[​IMG]
    barrel top ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

So for less than $20, I have the container for the water lilies... and a bigger home for the irises. Hmmm... wonder what I can plant in the container once I move the irises??? :D
    And now my co-worker says I should put some fish in it.
    Oh no... there goes the budget!

Oh yeah... and speaking of all things "water"... while I was at Big Lots I spotted this guy and just had to have him (it was 30% off). I put him on top of the blue shelf next to the barrel pond.

[​IMG]
    pelican ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

A completed project without spending a lot of money... PRICELESS.

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Cherylad - I just love your water garden project! Your Lilies should thrive there! That bamboo shade is perfect!
    It's always nice to get a goal accomplished without breaking the bank!
    The pelican is so cool! (I wonder if the Big Lots here has any... ;) )

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Gosh you've done really well Cheryl. Love your waterlily pond. :-D So glad your neighbour saw you muttering to yourself and was able to help you out. The Pelican looks right at home.

5. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Good job Cheryl, all those plants should really enjoy their new homes for years to come. I have my Iris in a short container too and it suits them just fine.

The Pelican is so cute.

Advertisement
  6. glendann

glendann Official Garden Angel

I love your new bamboo water lily planter.Its good your neighbor was so nice.I really do like it.I like the pelican too.Yep now fish in it would be great.

7. cherylad

Thanks everybody for the nice comments. I'm so happy I finally got it done. I was starting to lose sleep worrying about those water lilies! :D
    Hmmm... fish now. Guess I'd better start doing some research about them.
    Any suggestions to start me off on yet another adventure?

8. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Love your idea of the bamboo. I got plastic spray paint for one of my plastic containers. It worked pretty well and was cheap. Love the colors of the naturally aged black container. Looks like plants would fit nicely around it.

I buried one of my plastic water containers (large plastic planter). It has been in the ground for a number of years and held up very well. The squirrels love drinking from it and the water lily has stayed small since the pond is small (even the blooms are smaller ;) ).

9. cherylad

I have four of those large black containers. I have plants in one and my brother was trying to grow tomatoes in another one.
    My neighbor did say he had something that would seal it. So I've been thinking of making a fountain/bird bath/critter waterer... or something.
    Found this old pump head in my uncle's shop. Don't know if it belonged to him or my grandfather. But my cousin said we could have it. Right now it just sits in the flower bed at the family home.

[​IMG]
    pump ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

So, between that big container and the pump, I think I should be able to come up with something. Don't you think?

10. cherylad

I came home to a nice surprise on Monday... my first water lily bloom! :smt026 :smt026
    It's called "Lemon Mist".

[​IMG]
    lemon mist ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    lemon mist-close up ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

[​IMG]
    lemon mist & gold fish ( photo / image / picture from cherylad's Garden )

11. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Beautiful bloom you have there, I love the color

I really have to get more water plants other than the Iris the ones I had didn't like the Texas heat. I think they boiled to death in their water filled pots. :rolleyes:

12. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What a little gem Cheryl. I'm pleased as Punch for you. I hope this will be the first of many and that they'll all be as beautiful as your Lemon Mist. :stew1:

13. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Wow Cheryl--that yellow one sure did turn out nice, didn't it.
    Well done.

14. cherylad

It was very pretty. Only lasted a couple of days though. And it is suppose to be aromatic, but this one wasn't. Maybe because it was the first one? I'll definetly be waiting for more.

15. PJTN

PJTN New Seed

Very nice job...you can also grow Lotus in barrels like that..and they can be fairly shallow. Just remember they grow like crazy and you will have to repot every year. You can also use the plastic fish ponds. Such beautiful leaves and blooms. You can see some in my photos.

16. cherylad

PJ... just checked out your photos. Very very nice! And that Lotus is drop-dead gorgeous. I just received a couple of Lotus seeds, now I'm just going to have to get another barrel going for them.