There Are Thieves Among Us!!!

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by hummerbum, Aug 18, 2016.

1. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Well, Ladies and Gentlemen I have something to show you!!!

Remember this a couple of days ago?
    New use for old tires (tomato & pepper planters) 8-14-16.jpg
    Planter 2 8-14-16.jpg
    Poor Babies.jpg

Well went out to water them this morn and noticed that something was missing..and I immediately lost it....this is what I woke up to this morning!!!

All Gone.jpg

Notice anything missing? Just bought some of those this past Sunday and they took all the new plants!!! That huge Canna that was in the pot and blooming!! They even took the plant stand and the 3 plants that were on it!!! I was so upset that I couldn't drive to work because I was crying so hard..and I called the police (non-emergency of course). Second time I've been vandalized since living here for 8 years...first time 8 years ago...all 4 tires stolen off of my 300 and no one saw a thing!!

2. Loading...

3. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

OMG! How awful! They took everything! That is totally terrible.

Speechless really ...... I can only stare at the empty space and shake my head. That is TOTALLY awful, the worst.

Tooty2shoes, carolyn and hummerbum like this.
  4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I hope whoever took your plants is highly allergic to them. It won't get them back but thinking of them suffering would make me feel better. Check around the neighbourhood - you never know the thieves may have them planted in their own garden. I never understand the mentality of people who'll steal from others and cause so much misery.

hummerbum likes this.
  5. Frank

Frank GardenStew Founder Staff Member Administrator

What is wrong with some people? Most folk are genuine and caring but the few that aren't are enough to make one forget that sometimes. Sending you a hug HB. I hope you find out who it was.

hummerbum likes this.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

The sheer nerve and crassness of some people! I'm so sorry you had your plants stolen. Makes one want to sit on the porch at night, holding a bull whip--or a bull mastiff.

Tooty2shoes and hummerbum like this.
  7. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Ok ...I have to start with Marlingardener...LOLLL. That was too cute "or a Bull Mastiff!!!

Frank thanks for the hug because I was a mess and this morning, I'm still p/o'd. I have an idea of 2 people who may have something to do with it because of the nature of the discussions that I had with each person individually, just this Sunday, while putting those plants out. One man had a truck and you definitely needed a truck to haul that taller plant. Never a problem until I showed them how proud I was about buying and caring for those plants.

Eileen...my mom basically said the same thing...she said to next time plant something that whomever tries to steal won't be able to get off their body for a long time...Ragweed anyone? At this point, I want them to take care of those plants.

Islandlife....I still can't believe it...I couldn't find the word to describe how I'm feeling but while speaking with my female neighbor yesterday and letting her know what happened, she nailed it on the head, that I feel violated!!! . That is how I described it to my husband this morning because I am still feeling angry!!! The manner in which it happened is an inside job!!! They would have to know our schedules to pull something like that off and so soon after I did all of that work!! She said that you can't even see them from the road and she didn't know that they were there until she saw me out there so someone had to know where to look!!
    Now I'm angry with the landlords of this complex and they got a piece of me by email last night for not providing security/lights and maintaining the trees that block the parking lot lights yet again after I've asked them to trim those trees before. So now it's on!!! The policeman asked about lighting for the building and was looking for it!! There are none on the sides and back of this complex and this is not the first time something has happened here.

You guys, I know that I have the option to leave but sometimes you can't. That's why I'm still there, but progress is being made and thank God for my husband who grounds me when I get like this. He speaks understanding and wisdom and thinks that I should get back on the saddle and do it again and not let them steal my joy and passion, but only after they secure the building. What do you all think?

And thank you all for listening to me while I work through this!!!

Cayuga Morning, Islandlife and Frank like this.
  8. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What they have done is terrible but you can not let them win by giving up and not starting again. If not to show them you are stronger willed then someone who sneaks around in the night to steal the property of others then to show them that they can not make you change your life. They very well may steal from you again but for your own sake you have to come back each time and not give up.

The managers of apartment complexes are paid employees and are not in charge of the money spent on the apartments, they can only request something but the actual owners are typically a large holding company that owns many complexes in a city, state or several other states and they really could not care less about each individual complex as long as it's making money for them. But you might complain to the city building department about the security concerns of the residents.

Ragweed only blooms in the fall but there are other plants that are commonly found in gardens but also have self protecting qualities.
    Euphorbia tirucalli, or pencil cactus, is a pretty plant that can get about 20 feet tall and when you handle it and break a stem the white milky sap can cause blisters on skin that is sensitive to it. I tried to move one when I lived in Florida and had blisters on one cheek and hand for days after breaking a piece.
    Put in a white Yucca, the sword shaped leaves are pointed, stiff and like daggers when touched.
    Plant one of the thorniest rose bushes you can find.
    Urtica dioica, stinging nettle.....causes a severe sting when touched, the pain lasts for several hours (I found out the hard way and Aloe was the only relief I found). And it is medicinal when properly handled so it's a good plant to have on hand.
    Dieffenbachia is a pretty plant found in many gardens and also has a sap in it's leaves that cause skin irritation.

9. hummerbum

hummerbum Young Pine

Thank you Toni. You and my hubby are right and I know this...just a bit stunned at the moment. Good News!!! The landlord is sending someone to trim the trees and they are investigating light sources.
    I do have thorny roses planted in 2 pots and funny I grow them now for this very reason but I cut them a few months ago because they were all over the place and no one could move them without paying for it!! I will definitely think about the choices WHEN I do plant again!!!
    Again, thank you!

Tooty2shoes and Islandlife like this.
  10. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Hummer, many people are sensitive to Rue. It's a pretty plant, blue green foliage with a tiny yellow flower. Just brushing against it can give a long-lasting rash that HURTS! I'm not sensitive but I keep it trimmed back from the paths just in case a visitor is.
    It also has the added advantage of being a butterfly host plant.

11. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

I am so sorry about your plants. I can see, in the first pictures the work and money you put into them and then, to look at that blank space that was so pretty is heartbreaking. Hopefully with the trees trimmed and more lighting it won't happen again. I don't know if it would help but there are motion sensitive solar lights.

hummerbum likes this.
  12. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

That is terrible. Get a camera out there....I plan on ordering 4 for my property. I have not had any trouble but I want things to be in place before hand...

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  13. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Hummerbum, that is just terrible. I am so sorry.
    I think you need to get a beautiful pot of poison ivy going.. brag it up and say how much you just love that plant... stick a few silk flowers in it just for color. and some game cameras. Here they can be used as evidence for the sheriffs office.

waretrop likes this.
  14. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Nope, don't plant plants with the express purpose of causing injury to someone poison ivy has no other use. You can be sued or worse arrested. Just go with plants that every one grows, ones that can be used as tea, medicine or because they are exotic.

hummerbum and Islandlife like this.
  15. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

WOW, what people won't stoop to these days! Sorry for your loss Islandlife, this is horrible!

hummerbum likes this.
  16. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Nope... I love poison ivy.( I am also not allergic to it) It is a very nice barrier between me and the perimeter of my property. Have you ever watched the golf thingy in Akron at the Firestone golf CC? The one where big bucks are won and lost... like with Tiger Woods, if you ever have a chance to watch... (without falling asleep because you know it is soooo exciting) the golf tournament you will notice the fence has a very nice very OLD growth of poison ivy along the back side of the course. I drive by there to go get parts for drainage and I get a nice view of it always. I suspect it is to keep people from climbing the fence.
    And poison ivy makes very good bird food for blue jays.