Thick ciliated stalk, symmetrical opening leaves, fast growing (Has been identified as Milkweed)

Discussion in 'Plant ID' started by LaurieR, Jul 23, 2019.

1. LaurieR

LaurieR New Seed

Hi,

I recently had some topsoil added to my grass and along came a mystery plant which is now spreading. It has a thick non-woody stalk that is ciliated only if you look at it very closely (to the naked eye you can't see the cilia). The stalk pulls out relatively easily but I think I'm not getting it all when I do so, and I think it's spreading underground. There's sticky sap-like stuff inside the stalk. The new growth is a pair of leaves at a time opposite each other from the top center of the plant (it grows straight up). They unfold and the next set of leaves is folded together at the top growing more baby leaves inside it. Leaves are variegated and arrow-head shaped. This grows rapidly - seems like several inches or more per day. I haven't seen any flowers on it but I don't let them get more than 4-5 inches tall before I go dig them up. Can you please help id this and give any other helpful information about eradicating it? Thanks so much!
    MysteryPlant.jpg

2. Loading...

3. LaurieR

LaurieR New Seed

I learned that this is Milkweed.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  4. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

@LaurieR I have milkweed growing in my yard & I deliberately leave it for the monarchs.

It also has a great scent.

Sjoerd likes this.