Things have definately been shaking here!

Discussion in 'The Village Square' started by 2ofus, Sep 7, 2017.

1. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

We've been having a lot of earthquakes the last week ..... like a 179 of them in the last 7 days! The strongest ones, so far, have been 5.1 magnitude. So far no damage to the house, thank goodness, as we have no earthquake insurance. We've done what we can to protect ourselves, such as screwing the large heavy picture above our bed to the wall. I'm taking the china out of the china cabinet in case it tips over. I've read all a can find about anything else we can do and there isn't much. There is no way to predict when it will end or how strong the quakes will get. This is really hard on the nerves!

2. Loading...

3. mart

mart Strong Ash

Go to the hardware store and get some L brackets,,the ones with holes the entire length. Make sure they are long enough to go from China cabinet to the wall with a few inches to spare. Bend the end opposite the L about an inch and a half in the same direction as the other end Then attach the small end to the china cabinet frame and the other end to the wall studs !! They are rigid so the will keep the china cabinet from tipping unless the whole wall comes down .

4. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Good grief! Any reason as to why so many? Stay safe.

Philip Nulty and 2ofus like this.
  5. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

The reports say the rocks are just 'settling' and they don't 'think' the quakes will get much worse than we've been having, but they won't guarantee that and say it could get up to a 7.1. That's when houses go down. I am getting the china cabinet secured but today I'm going to pack the china and store it in the small bathroom that has a cement floor. Also need to pack my hummingbird collection (72 of them!) and take the glass doors off and wrap them too. Doing all this will ensure that the quakes won't get worse! :):like:

Cayuga Morning and Philip Nulty like this.

Advertisement
  6. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

2ofus keep safe,..earthquakes and lots of them,..here we complain about a little rain and a rising river every year we should be used to that by now,..but earthquakes,.. very scary indeed,..not forgetting all the storms and hurricanes hitting or heading for the USA is mind boggling.

2ofus likes this.
  7. Islandlife

Islandlife Young Pine

Definitely hope the big one doesn't arrive!

2ofus and Philip Nulty like this.
  8. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

OMGosh!!! I heard nothing bout this.....all I heard was the hurricanes down south......please be safe....batten down everything.

2ofus, Philip Nulty and carolyn like this.
  9. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Looks like an earthquake level 8.1 has hit Mexico,..devastating weather conditions are really hitting the south coast,..with more on the way of course from 'Irma',..plus other hurricanes following this,..keep safe everyone.

2ofus likes this.
  10. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

The quakes are still going on! I don't feel the 2 and 3 magnitude and barely feel the 4 but boy :eek: those 5 magnitude, and higher shake things up! Woke me right up at 3:00 am. and then another at 5.00 am. The experts say they don't expect them to get much stronger but they do say that the quakes could continue for another week or two. I won't complain anymore after hearing and watching the hurricanes on TV. My prayers for all.

Philip Nulty, waretrop and carolyn like this.
  11. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Earthquake putty works great for keeping pictures straight without screwing them to the wall. It goes by several names, but is a soft white putty that I use for pictures and nicknacks on tables and shelves. The craft store Michael's carrys it. I also use it in my caravan for anchoring things. Works great holding my treasures secure in the caravan, even on the wash board Forest Service roads I have taken it down.

Didn't realize your area was earthquake prone. That is quite the change from when I was growing up in the area. Be comforted that wood frame houses are very resilient to earthquakes. Our old cottage has withstood some 9+ earthquakes.

Philip Nulty and Cayuga Morning like this.
  12. Cayuga Morning

Cayuga Morning Strong Ash Plants Contributor

By any chance has there been a lot of fracking in the area?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2017
    Philip Nulty and waretrop like this.
  13. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

WOW...that is scary...stay safe. So much happening all over the world...

Philip Nulty likes this.
  14. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

Very thing came to my mind,..it has caused problems before though now they claim they have rectified the problems,..personally i think its trouble,..to force water down in order to force gas upwards,..expansion seems to be the obvious outcome.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  15. 2ofus

2ofus Hardy Maple

No, there is no fracking going on here, it's all just Mother Nature! There are a number of earthquake faults in the western states, we just happen to have one that is very close to our town. They are getting farther apart and less strong now. I just hope it continues to decline and finally settles down. I've been telling everyone that I'm the one that slowed them down... As soon as I packed my china, anchored the china cabinet and large pictures the quakes started easing off. I want you to know though, that I am knocking on wood so my joking won't make the earthquake's angry! :fingerscrossed: :eek: ;) :)

Philip Nulty likes this.
  16. Philip Nulty

Philip Nulty Strong Ash

2ofus,..i will also knock on wood for you,..though glad to read that the quakes are getting further apart and hope the faults settle for a long time into the future :setc_088: