Things To Come.

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sydney Smith, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi all. I will dedicate this to Jane ref her comment on looking out on a wintry scene and thinking forward to better weather and the garden ( Misc Pics topic).
    Heres a varied selection of things to come - starting with the Roses as they are favourites of so many - will send a few each day but have to avoid double posting so a small comment on each lot would be appreciated so I can keep going. It will soon all be happening again - Spring will come. Syd.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I really hope you're right Syd as I'm getting tired of snow, frost and gales. Your photographs have certainly cheered me up though so many thanks for posting them.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Syd, you are so kind! Your photos are lovely, and thank you so much for posting them. And here is a rose for you--Lady Hamilton just ready to bloom. 3-21 002.jpg

Frank likes this.
  5. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen, Jane, all. So glad you like the idea and the pics but please note these are selected, some from last garden, from my folders and some will have been posted in different topics by me before. However, regardless of that not everyone by any means will have seen them and of course theres new folk joining all the time. The idea is just to give a little cheer to all you good folks wherever who are still having wintry, even harsh wintry weather - a little pick me up - a little encouragement and a little light ahead to when you will all be out in your own gardens again seeing similar - have faith it will happen.
    I must say that in our corner of England really we have not had a winter - very little snow - frosts of course but nothing really severe.
    Jane many thanks for the Rose, it is beautiful. Heres a few more pics and I can name any of interest if required - will be getting to the "heftier" stuff after this posting. Syd.

Attached Files:

Advertisement
  6. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

More "Things To Come".

Attached Files:

7. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

2007_04250006.JPG 2007_04250007.JPG 2007_04250008.JPG 2007_04250011.JPG 2007_04250019.JPG 2007_04250014.JPG

More things to come.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2015
    Jewell likes this.
  8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

What's your secret with the Hostas Syd? Mine always look filigreed as the slugs love to munch on them but there's no holes in yours that I can see.

9. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

Hi Eileen. Those pics came from my last garden - I used them as they were growing more or less individually - better for pics. Ref Slugs/Snails well its continuous war and funnily enough though the soil had more body there and was moister there was less of them than here where it is sandy and much drier. I watch over them and examine them regularly, picking out any intruders and also the evening/night-time darkness visits with a torch finds them. Also I grow more in containers now where its easier I find to keep things under control - the plants love it. Having said all that I admit that as the season runs on they do gradually get holes and the "varmints" always win - but by then its autumn and all the herbaceous stuff is going over anyway so I let it go. There was another very important factor involved there and that was we always had Thrushes in the garden who mopped up quite a few - here in this desert in 4 years I have (to my very great sadness) only seen one - nuff said. Foliage is my thing above flowers and Hostas are definitely the backbone of it all - theres so much to contrast with their foliage shape/ colour. In the woods next to us (and they do visit) we have these very large Snails - twice the size of the usual biggest and they are a protected species - for interest I am told by the locals that years ago ( if not still) they had Snail races with them. I actually did measure the length of one out of its shell crawling and it was near 4 inches long. Syd.

Jewell likes this.
  10. Sydney Smith

Sydney Smith In Flower

2007_08270107 (Small).JPG 2007_08310013.JPG 2007_08310012 (Small).JPG 2007_08310015.JPG 2007_08310016 (Small).JPG DSC_0052.JPG

2007_08310014.JPG

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2015
    Jewell likes this.
  11. Petronius

Petronius Young Pine

@Sydney, I especially like the pink roses.