Thinking of getting a conservatory built...

Discussion in 'Home Improvement, DIY and Repair' started by louise, Sep 12, 2011.

1. louise

louise New Seed

My parents have one and it's a lovely room.

But I think it cost them about £20,000 (alot more than I'd ideally want to spend).

Who else has a conservatory? How much did you pay (if you don't mind me asking) and was it worth it?

Also, can anyone recommend any good or warn me off any bad companies that build conservatories? (I live in the Midlands in the UK).

Thanks everyone :)

2. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Can't be of help, but if you build a conservatory, please post pictures! Until then, maybe we could see pictures of your parents' conservatory?

3. Tooty2shoes

Tooty2shoes Hardy Maple

Louise, I to like marlingardener was wondering about what you meant by a conservatory. Then I did an online search and found out that over here in the US we would call it a sun room. I love how they look. But like you said they can be very expensive. Maybe someone from the UK can direct you to a more reasonable company. Have a great day. :stew1:

4. louise

louise New Seed

Hi Marlin,

I would post pictures of my parents conservatory but first of all they live rather far from me and I sadly don't see them often, and also I don't think they'd appreciate me posting pictures of it on the internet!

I assure you it is lovely though!

Advertisement
  5. louise

louise New Seed

Does no-one with a conservatory have any input for me? :(

6. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Louise conservatories here in the UK tend to range from around £10,000 to approx £22,000 (to build a conservatory onto an average three-bedroomed house) An extension, if you have the space and planning permission for one will cost at least £30,000.

7. louise

louise New Seed

Hi Eileen,

Do you mean 'an extension' as in an extension to the actual house, so a bigger kitchen or something?

And thus a conservatory would be cheaper?

8. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Yes Louise. An extension would be just that - an extension added to the house. :stew1: It could be an extra bedroom, a kitchen, bathrooom or a living room that needs to be extended to make it larger.

9. louise

louise New Seed

Thinking more and more about this and have been recommended this company by an acquaintance http://www.stormclad.co.uk/conservatori ... -derby.php

Though I'm hesitant to trust the opinion of one person, especially someone I don't really know that well; has anyone else heard of them?

There are four good reviews online but knowing how easy it is for a company to review themselves I can't entirely trust these either!

Also, I'm a bit worried about being pressured into making a decision. At the moment I just want them to come round, check that it is possible to build a conservatory, tell me some more about it and answer any questions I come up with.

But, I associate with letting builders into your home with high pressure sales... And I'm not fantastic at standing up for myself.

Anyone else been in a similar situation? How did you cope?

10. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

Louise, The real question is how much money are you willing to do to save money and will the codes in your area allow you to add it?

I have done one attached to my home and one free standing. I call them greenhouses. They are all glass or will be in the end.

Barb in Pa.

11. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

Louise, I know how hard it is to say no, so is there anyone (brother, Dad, male friend) who could be there at the same time? someone who isn't paying the bill and can say "We'll discuss this and get back to you" when the builder is finished. a quality builder is/should not be pressuring you to SIGN for XX$$$$ (price) because it's "good only for today". Be upfront with them and tell them you are getting several quotes. And do get several. Make sure you are comparing the same/similar products, quantities and/or size of project. It's hard to compare if the quotes are not the same project. Good luck.

louise likes this.