Three Days Of Dry Weather = Work, Work, Work

Discussion in 'Fruit and Veg Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Well, I am not really sure what forum I must use to post this thread as it contains elements of veg, bloom and general topics. Well, I chose to place it in the vegetable forum. Fingers crossed it is oké.

Right then, to begin with--we have had it busy here for the past three days. We have had some sun, but most importantly, it has been dry...pretty much.
    This opened up opportunities to do some soil and bed preparation.

To begin with, the huge stand of decorative grass at the end on the dividing path had to cut off and pared-back at the base.
    You can see it there with the blue trug next to it.
    [​IMG]

Then, on to the greenhouse. We replace the soil in there each year so the toms and peppers will not have to struggle with the same ole ground. Normally, one would rotate the crops, but in a greenhouse, we rotate the soil and plant the same crops.

We put a mixture of own compost, municipal compost, cow manure and soil from the garden into the the emptied trenches in the greenhouse, water it down good and let it sit for a month before putting the peppers, toms and melons in.

It is always a challenge working in that tight space. My partner digs and I lug the big trugs off to dump in the prepared holes out in the garden. What do I mean by this?

Well, we have a number of bushel-sized trugs which we fill with good, over-wintered soil from a selected garden plot. We use this soil as one of the components in the mixture mentioned above.

So, we dig-out the greenhouse soil, leaving empty trenches in the greenhouse. The mixture goes in there from the garden plot. The holes in the plot are filled with the greenhouse soil and then 3 year old cow manure mixed with garden plot soil is then spread over the bared plots and re-covered.
    * We have to rake the winter mulch off to the side in order to do this.
    This pic was taken at the very beginning of the hole digging and filling in the plot where the broad beans will soon go.
    [​IMG]

As our work progressed, we came to the last of the leeks and they had to be lifted and taken home to be processed.
    [​IMG]

We shall eat some today and freeze the rest in.

This is how the spud beds looked after the "treatment".
    [​IMG]

...and then after their mulch blanket was pulled back over them. They will stay like this until the potatos go in toward the end of the month or the beginning of the next. Traditionally we plant the spuds on 1 april, but the spring is early this year...so we'll see.
    [​IMG]

During our work, we managed to see the first ladybirds out sunbathing...
    [​IMG]

...annnnd the first bumblebee:
    [​IMG]

More honeybees were out and about. This one twirled round and round, upside down in the Aconitum. I wish that I had thought to make an .avi filmpje, but the time would not allow to do both.
    [​IMG]

But all was not hard graft, there was also time for fun in those three days...a trip to the garden centre where I came across this lopper with telescoping handles. The old one had become bent and unusable, so I got this one at 50% off.
    [​IMG]

There were also some plants that needed a place in the garden--Salvias, a brem (Cytisus 'Lene') and some violtjes for the front balcony.
    [​IMG]

Of course we don't only garden in the lottie, there is also the home front.
    The balcony boxes which I have already mentioned, and the broad beans have already broken through after just four days. We have already put our spuds out to chit and there is a little activity already.
    [​IMG]

Do you remember the root cutting that we planted awhile ago? Well, they are also above ground and leafy. I have begun hardening them off already and will plant then in a couple of weeks when their new home is ready for them over by the water butt.
    [​IMG]

I shan't harvest them this year at all, but rather allow them to establish themselves. Next year I will begin using them for feeding the toms.

Well, that winds up the update and now I can let my muscles rest a bit...tomorrow is supposed to be sunny and with a weak wind--ideal for us. There is still lots to do, so I had better rest-up. ;)

Frank, Jewell, carolyn and 2 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. carolyn

carolyn Strong Ash

S, Do you cut your potatoes or leave them whole when you put them in the egg cartons? And how big do you let the sprouts get before you plant them?

Everything else looks great. Your windowboxes will be gorgeous after they fill in, huh?

4. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

Oh Sjoerd……Pictures without snow. Lovely flowers enjoying the spring sun!! Our flowers are furiously digging up through the snow but with no place to put the snow, it is a losing cause. Delicious veggies! Dirt without snow!! Soft squishy dirt! Water that is not frozen! Can't wait for spring. I'm going outside and cheer for the flowers. Maybe they will dig faster. :)

Jerry

carolyn likes this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Isn't it great to be able to play outside again? Even the aching muscles afterwards can't put us off can they?
    We've been busy too (but not as busy as you two.) We've planted seeds, cut things back, dug out and moved other stuff and generally tidied up. We were about to fill pots to put our bulbs into but then the hail came down. :( However, we came inside and set all our potatoes in egg cartons. We're trying four new types this year to see how they crop for us.

I did see one bee today but no sign of ladybirds yet. The frogs are gathering in the pond and it's so nice to hear them croaking at night again.

Let's hope we get some more good weather soon as it really was great to be outdoors doing what we love most.

Advertisement
  6. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hey C--Normally I do not cut the spuds in half; however, this year the Mayan Gold Trixi's I will do as they are so enormous.
    You asked about how long I let the shits grow. About the length of a finger's segment or less.
    Yeah, the balcony boxes will be super once they begin to fill out and grow up.

Ach JERRY--I feel for you, mate. I hope that your snow will soon melt. It sounds as if you are languishing in the throws of a mean winter there. BAH!
    I hope that it will soon be over for you.

It sure is EILEEN--Nah, the aching muscles are a VERY small price to pay for this kind of happiness.
    It sounds like things are marching right along there with your spring work. Our accomplishments at this time of year are small, but with a stimulation for more that is great. We're due for more decent weather tomorrow., so it'll be see order pick-up and more dirty hands. YIPPEEEEE!!

7. waretrop

waretrop Strong Ash Plants Contributor

I agree everything looks so good. Love the window boxes. I can't believe you are ready to garden already.

8. KK Ng

KK Ng Hardy Maple

Everything looks so good especially the earth ... can I come and get some?

9. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Those balcony boxes have a good start. Violets and primrose roses are still dormant here. You have got things ready or already started. Master gardener at work :stew1:

10. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks much, WARE--Yeah, I can't believe it either. We have had the warmest 8 maart ever today.

KK--Thanks. As you know, I put a lot of effort into keeping my soil healthy. It is nice when someone else notices it.

JEWELL--thank you for the good words -- you always say the nicest things.

11. Donna S

Donna S Hardy Maple

Sjoerd, Your gardens look great as always. How deep do you dig to replace soil in greenhouse?
    My borage showed itself today.

12. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Hi Donna. I dig down two spade depths. This is far more than I need to.
    Thanks for the nice compliment on the lotty.
    Great that your borage showed itself. It gives you a good feeling, doesn't it?

13. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Sjoerd, I am green with envy that you are out gardening already! Looking good!

14. cherylad

cherylad Countess of Cute-ification Plants Contributor

Love the ladybird photo. It could be a postcard!
    Nice work on preparing for your veggies. I think you've spoiled them with all that good soil.
    Love those boxes on your balcony. Can you show us how they are held in place? And as the season progresses, can we see more of the things you grow at home?

15. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Oh my NETTY--Sorry. Hopefully it will give you encouragement. Thanks for thinking things look good already.

Thanks so much CHERYL--Glad you like the looks of the soil. You wouldn't believe how many worms are in it. It is loaded with them.
    Oké, I shall try and remember to take a pic from the side of the balcony boxes. They are held in place (supported) by a frame that is in the shape of an "S" lying on its side.
    I will also try and remember to show things growing at home on that front balcony. I hope that I don't forget.