Time for the bears to wake up

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Melody Mc., Apr 21, 2023.

1. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

Our spring is heavily delayed this year. There are hints of green beginning in some of the open fields that have southern exposure and no snow.

My neighour 8 km away called last night. They have a hay ranch in a large low lying valley. The bears have woken, and are dotting her fields like cows while they try to source the new green shoots. There is not much available right now but it will come.

When spring foraging is lean we often see them at the top of a 70 foot cottonwood by the creek eating the new buds. Where there is a will there is a way. :)

Some years ago we had an incredibly warm February. We went to the lake that doesn't freeze and had a weenie roast on the shore. The sun and warmth led to a Polar Bear challenge between Hubby and myself. He went first so I had to keep my pride and also wade in. It was strange because the air was so warm, but the sand at the bottom of the lake was hard and frozen.

While warming by the fire, Hubby pointed out a large black rock on the opposite shore. Then we saw the rock fall into the water, pull himself out and wander our way. We quickly dressed, put out the fire, walked to the boat launch and loaded up the dogs. Within minutes, this poor sad creature showed up.

When a bear wakes from hibernation, depending on the calories they were able to store in the fall, they are often emaciated looking or sunken. This guy was very hungry, and I'm sure the warm weather confused him, as did the smell of our hotdogs. I don't feed wildlife ( with the exception of birds) but I sure wished that I had left some weiners for the poor bloke. Hopefully he went back to bed for a few months.

007.JPG

076.JPG

084.JPG

115.JPG

116.JPG

010.JPG

Jerry Sullivan, Netty, Odif and 4 others like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jewell

Jewell Incorrigible Gardener Plants Contributor

Puget Sound Region of the Pacific NW,Zone7b
    Great photos to tell the story. Critters here are looking for fresh greens too.

Pacnorwest and eileen like this.
  4. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Great pics … like the beautiful mountains and rivers. It’s a beautiful scene either in winters or summers. Thanks for sharing your pics ..

eileen likes this.
  5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Great pics and great story. There was nice weather that day. I find bears unpredictable. All types. I guess that that beast probably made it back underground.
    What a picturesque location that is though. It just looks pristine and the air is so clear.

Melody Mc., eileen and Pacnorwest like this.

Advertisement
  6. Clay_22

Clay_22 In Flower

I haven't seen it but my yard had all the signs of a black bear visit. My feathered friends will have to wait till it moves on before the feeders get refilled.

7. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

clay_22. Bears… Ah the plus’ and minus’ of country living. ..it is certainly worth it away from the hustle/bussel. The wildlife is both interesting and annoying.
    Country living does have more freedom no neighborhood Association rules. We also don’t have gas service only electric. Now new legalization is proposed in many states for new housing to only have elec. access. My greenhouse originally was warmed by propane because electricity was to high. Now for many reasons the price on oil is ski high and electricity is more cost effective. Go figure….

Last edited: Apr 30, 2023
    Melody Mc. and Sjoerd like this.
  8. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

I haven't seen a bear yet this year, but I know they are around. I did see a track in the mud down the road where I walk the dog. Time to start carrying a cowbell again.

Melody Mc., Pacnorwest and Sjoerd like this.
  9. Melody Mc.

Melody Mc. Young Pine

@Netty - When I'm going for a walk I have my usual stuff - air horn, bear spray, bear banger and poles with bells. Hubby always says now " Got your dinner bell on Sweetie?" :suspicious:He thinks it is soooo funny - every since @marlingardener 's bear joke thread. :D

Netty, Sjoerd and Pacnorwest like this.
  10. Daniel W

Daniel W Young Pine

Wow!

Sjoerd, Melody Mc. and Pacnorwest like this.
  11. Pacnorwest

Pacnorwest Hardy Maple

Double Wow … and a Yikes and also don’t forget to …:fingerscrossed: .

Sjoerd and Melody Mc. like this.