Time For The Chelsea Chop and Plot Field Day

Discussion in 'Flower Gardening' started by Sjoerd, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

The weather is a bit cooler now, so I am getting on with garden chores.
    I am cleaning out the blueberry patch since the Limnanthus had bloomed out. It is a hot and itchy knee-work job, I can tell you that. Here is the first corner cleaned.
    zippo8.JPG

Then it is time to do the Chelsea Chop on selected bloomers. This plant is a Phlox.
    Before:
    zippo6.JPG

This is after:
    zippo7.JPG

Well, after looking at the foto's I cannot see that my work is apparent. The way that I do the Chelsea Chop is to cuts the tops out of ~half of the stalks. As you know, I do this to prologue the blooming time.

We have planted some green manure after digging-up the shot spinach. We fed the tops to the deer in the deer park.

Planted out more brassica's.

Harvested and slung some honey.

Busy, busy, busy here. The broad beans will need picking tomorrow or so.

Frank, eileen and Henry Johnson like this.
  2. Loading...

3. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Looking good Sjoerd. I've been doing a few serious weeding jobs like that as well, and it sure is hard on the knees!
    I will have to try this with my Phlox ... my Phlox is having a good year and even after digging out mountains of Phlox, many large clumps remain in my garden. I just can't bring myself to dig more out until I have a new home for it!
    I'm glad you are keeping busy, that should keep you out of trouble ;)

4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Thanks for your comments, Jewel. I know what you mean about digging-up phlox for destruction, or even giving away...but I am strong. The little clump featured in the foto above, is about 1/5 the size of the original stand. I have the phloxitis so bad that I even bought some new ones this year. Oh gee--what am I like! o_O