Time for toast !!

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by Mego, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Mego

Mego New Seed

This squirrel ( named Toast ) comes at least three times a day for his breakfast and dinner.. He ( she ? ) loves a piece of toast and scoffs the whole slice. Since the pandemic and matters being less hectic here in the UK with the lock downs, lots of wildlife are knocking about all around and in peoples gardens.
    Hope you like the photos ( perhaps the one for next month as picture of the month. Enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Great photographs Mego. We enjoy watching the squirrels here too as they enjoy the sunflower seed hearts we put out for them and the birds.
    Can I just offer a little advice without, hopefully, offending you? Did you know that white bread (even toasted) isn't the best thing for squirrels to eat? Whole grain is much safer for them and won't cause the health problems that white bread can.

Sjoerd likes this.
  3. mart

mart Strong Ash

They love peanuts,, un-toasted !

Sjoerd likes this.
  4. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

What an interesting posting, Mego. Nice foto's too.
    While I enjoy seeing your squirrels on here, I am glad that they are no where near my veggie garden, as they will eat almost everything. I have too many problems with little rodents and so forth. I do enjoy feeding animals in my lottie, but I try and be selective. haha. That doesn't always work though. Like Eileen, I have also heard that feeding bread to squirrels can be bad for them, but I have not read-up on this, so I do not know why. There are no squirrels anywhere near us, so this subject has been neglected by me.

Anyhow--thanks for the posting, and like I said--those foto's are delightful to see, mate.

Advertisement
  5. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mego, a bit of envy here, but just a bit! We don't have squirrels around here--too many hawks and coyotes. As a result, we don't have squirrels snacking in the vegetable garden. I enjoy your post about Toast and his/her habits. Do you think you have been trained?
    About white bread--it really isn't great for wildlife. White bread is nutritionally empty for wildlife (and maybe humans, too?). It offers carbohydrates but little else. Since you "may" have been trained, how about buying a loaf of whole grain or wheat bread for Toast, and keeping it in the freezer, pulling out a slice and toasting it.

6. Mego

Mego New Seed

Hello Eileen.
    Point noted about the white bread. Just been out and bought a whole grain loaf.

Cayuga Morning likes this.
  7. Mego

Mego New Seed

Hello Sjoerd,
    I can understand about the veggies. What naughty creatures are knocking around.

Sjoerd likes this.
  8. Mego

Mego New Seed

Hello marlingardener,
    You got it in one. I have been trained !!. Just told Eileen, I have just bought a whole grain loaf. Oooooh the expense of it !!.

9. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Mego, we're so proud of you! I've been trained also. The three cats rule and I am at their beck and call. Timi gets two oyster crackers in the morning, Buddy likes to be brushed, and Cali is determined to be an inside cat. So far she just breaks in, gets picked up, purrs, and then goes back out.

10. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I'm sure your squirrel will appreciate the change in diet Mego. Our squirrels just love to steal the seeds from our birds.

marlingardener likes this.
  11. Mego

Mego New Seed

Oh thats not the half of it here. My late wife loved our moggies. We have had siamese, rescued and allsorts over the years. I only have one at the moment named Squeak. He doesn't call like other cats he squeaks. He lives outdoors and only comes in for his meals. A real tough cat. The Bandit ( the local hitman !!) was Squeaks Dad. Tippy was my wifes favourite.
    And eileen,you are right he loves the whole meal.

Attached Files:

12. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Love those cat photos! Gorgeous cats, and seem to be quite happy.

13. Mego

Mego New Seed

Well all, back to the gardens and get on with the work. Glad you liked the photographs.

Cayuga Morning likes this.