Tips on Rose of Sharon Plants & Hardy Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by booberry85, Apr 19, 2012.

1. booberry85

booberry85 New Seed

I love Rose of Sharon & hardy Hibiscus(actually all Hibiscus). Last year I started a few rose of Sharon from seed. Two plants didn't make it, but another 3 still have flexible stems, but haven't leafed out yet. I'm trying to start a few more from seed. My first batch didn't make it (the weather's been to quirky). So I replanted a second round of seeds on Monday.

Do have any tips on starting these from seeds? Things that might help my 1 year old plants? Some people seem to think these things grow like weeds, but not for me!

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Warmth and full sun. The seeds I started for the Star of Texas Hibiscus were set outside in full sun and germinated fairly quickly.

But since your weather isn't anywhere near the same as what we are having down here, just be sure to keep yours under lights and in a warm spot.

4. tschnath

tschnath In Flower

Boo, I wish you luck with starting from seed. I'm a chicken when it comes to seeds and have really only been successful with your easy seeds so to speak.

There is one called "Blue Bird Rose of Sharon" that I want to get. It's zoned for 4-9 (I'm in 5). I really don't know if they are as hardy as they say as I've never grown one but someday...I will find out.

When the time comes I will go the easier route and get a started plant.

Good luck Boo and post us some pics when you get started.