Toad problem! How to keep them away

Discussion in 'Wildlife in the Garden' started by NancyL., Jul 15, 2017.

1. NancyL.

NancyL. New Seed

I have read a lot toads are beneficial for flowers bed but I am SCARE to them and frogs for a bad experience when I was a little girl, for me they are MONTERS! :smt022
    This is the first year we have them living in our flowers bed and they are giving me panic attacks everytime I need to clean the flowers bed, garden and my pot and I find them. I am going tires of them but I can not find a solution to put them away. :sulk:
    Do you have any recommendations for keep them away? I am afraid i will need to remove all my flowers if I can not find a solution. :(

2. Loading...

3. toni

toni Mistress of Garden Junque Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I suggest you contact a local garden club and see if some of them would like to come find and catch the toads to relocate to their gardens.

4. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

NancyL. I'm sorry you are afraid of toads, one of the most beneficial critters we have in gardens. You may want to read up on how toads help gardens, and learn to just ignore them.
    Toni's advice is very good, especially if you just can't abide toads. We have several in flowerbeds and occasionally on the patio, and we welcome them. I'm thinking of putting up a little sign "Bugs beware, toads on patrol!"

Tooty2shoes and 2ofus like this.
  5. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

I don't know what I'd do without our toads and frogs as they do a great job of keeping all the 'nasties' out of the garden. However, if you have a phobia with them I think following Toni's advice may be the best thing for you. Just be prepared for an influx of pests once they've gone.

Cayuga Morning likes this.

Advertisement
  6. Kathie Mills

Kathie Mills New Seed

I think you should go with what Tony has suggested.

7. Sherry8

Sherry8 I Love Birds!

How about if you have rock/stone in your flower beds around the flowers? They won't live in that area. We have them all over, in the flower beds and in the grass they dig down in the dirt. I had the same problem with snakes when we lived in New London, WI and when I was on my hands and knees working in the beds, I could hear them moving close-by. Most of the time if they startled me, I would scream. Neighbors knew that I had come upon a snake. Since we moved to Neenah, I haven't seen a one which is just fine with me. Now we are moving at the end of September and I have a whole new area to get used to. I am hoping there are no snakes. Good luck.