Today I planted lilac bushes!

Discussion in 'Trees, Shrubs and Roses' started by dooley, Feb 28, 2011.

1. dooley

dooley Super Garden Turtle

On Monday when we went to Huntsville I bought 4 lilac bushes. There were two to a pak and each pak was five dollars. They had green leaves and green shoots on them and the sign said to take them home and plant them. We spent all week building fences, etc to contain one small dog who still gets out about once a day. But, that isn't the subject here.
    Today, I knew that I had to get them planted. So, dr and I went out to the front of the house and decided where to plant them. Two went, one on each side, by the kitchen window. They are about 5 to 6 feet apart. They will smell great when they bloom and I am in the kitchen. The other two are in front of where we will build our deck. We've been gathering materials for that and will start it as soon as we can get to it. Then, after lunch I went back outside and planted two bleeding heart roots in large pots. I put them out by our lawn chairs under the trees. They can be moved to have shade or sun which ever they are in need of the most. The package said partial sun or shade. When we left Arizona I gave the ones I had in pots to Dan. I really like bleeding hearts.
    I moved my herbs outside so they could get more sun. They were getting leggy being inside all winter. Of course, it was cloudy and rainy yesterday and cloudy most of today so they haven't gotten too much sun.
    Tomorrow I will think about the seeds. I bought a lot of those 20 cent paks at WalMart yesterday.
    dooley

Frank likes this.
  2. Loading...

3. Jerry Sullivan

Jerry Sullivan Garden Experimenter Plants Contributor

You will love the smell of lilacs when they blossom.

Jerry

4. eileen

eileen Resident Taxonomist Staff Member Moderator Plants Contributor

Lilacs are one of my favourite trees Dooley so I hope yours do well for you. The scent of the flowers is so lovely and planting them beside your kitchen window was a great idea.
    I really love bleeding hearts too but my white ones have disappeared. :( I think I'll go out later in the year and buy a couple to replace the lost ones. :-D

5. Sjoerd

Sjoerd Mighty Oak

Soooooo Dooley, you've been the busy one, haven't you. Lilacs are such nive bushes. I planted one in my flowerr garden alst year along a short row of Philadelphus.
    I was wondering what types of lilacs that you planted. Mine was a "dwarf" sort, whose name I simply cannot remember. It has small leaves and the bush will be round and not taller than 4-5 feet.
    I shouldn't worry about the lack of sun for your new plantings at the moment...actually it is recommenede to transplant plants and bushed on cloudy days. I often go so far as to transplant in a light rain. It is a good start for them.
    Good luck with the seeds. That deck that you guys are planning to build sounds pretty nice to me. I hope that you can get to it before the heat sets in.

Advertisement
  6. marlingardener

marlingardener Happy

Oh, Dooley, you brought back such good memories! We had lilacs when we lived up north, and I do miss them. Yours will be a pleasure for years! Your lilacs will make your garden even more lovely, and smell better, too.

7. Netty

Netty Chaotic Gardener Plants Contributor

Lilac's are my favorite flowering shrub! I absolutely LOVE the scent of those blooms and the Hummingbirds go crazy for them. I'm looking for a different color to plant this year ... I saw yellow ones in a catalog I just can't remember which one.

8. Kay

Kay Girl with Green Thumbs

Dooley, Girl, you have given me another case of spring fever! I consider you lucky to be out there digging and planting. I am jealous... :D
    I hope your Lilacs are wonderful! They have such a heavenly scent.